Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

is this common?

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:23 PM
  • 15 Replies

So im at the grocery store and talking on my cell phone and my friend says i wish i knew how to groccery shop. And I kinda froze lol . . . how do you not know how to grocery shop don't you know what you eat? then she says yeah but its like i get to the grocery store i just idk i get overwhelmed. I didnt laugh til we got off the phone and I apologize if this sounds like you and i'm now laughing at you lol. But I can't imagine . . . is this common, do you feel like udk how to grocery shop?

by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Perhaps she was not taught how to shop for herself.   I started learning at a young age.  Mom or dad would send me to corner market with a list and how food would be paid for.  We actually had food stamps when they were stamps and not a card or check voucher.   As I got older I could walk further away to a larger grocery store for things.  When i hit teen years, dad would give me his debit card to do household grocery shopping during our visits.

Vinterland
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:08 PM

That never happened to me. Maybe it would help if she wrote a list? Maybe it's something personal to her, like an anxiety thing and it freaks her out. I never knew you had to be "taught" that.

peanuteb
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:33 PM

I've never had a problem with shopping.  My mom is an awesome shopper, using a list and coupons and she I have been going with her since I was old enough to sit in the cart

Jewl-e
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:36 PM

I'd say it comes naturally, I mean even cave people knew what they needed and where to go to get it... Not actual grocery shopping but still. Even if I hadnt been taught Its not like you have a time limit, Id just wander around until I found things that looked/sounded good lol

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:39 PM

No I can't relate lol.

coupon_ash_back
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:42 PM

I have met people like that. They don't know how to plan ahead with lists, make food stretch, use a budget or even remember/think about what they eat,can or like to cook.

amberlavine
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Vinterland:

That never happened to me. Maybe it would help if she wrote a list? Maybe it's something personal to her, like an anxiety thing and it freaks her out. I never knew you had to be "taught" that.

I have anxiety and if I don't have a list made beforehand I'm screwed. When I get there my mind goes blank and I end up going home with barely anything. But I agree sounds like an anxiety thing, possibly. I don't think you have to be taught to shop lol. Also I get overwhelmed by all the junky food versus the healthy foods/meals I can't remember recipies off the top of my head and freak out if I see too much junk food in our cart. So yes lol maybe she needs to just make a list!

Vinterland
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I have it as well, that's why I asked because it can be. That happens to me with other stuff so I kind of related it to that. I always make lists anyway because I always end up forgetting things if I don't.

Quoting amberlavine:

Quoting Vinterland:

I have anxiety and if I don't have a list made beforehand I'm screwed. When I get there my mind goes blank and I end up going home with barely anything. But I agree sounds like an anxiety thing, possibly. I don't think you have to be taught to shop lol. Also I get overwhelmed by all the junky food versus the healthy foods/meals I can't remember recipies off the top of my head and freak out if I see too much junk food in our cart. So yes lol maybe she needs to just make a list!

ParanormalSarah
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Lots of people find the atmosphere, the financial spending, the lack of organization in their planning all something that causes anxiety and if they are prone to anxiety the grocery store is a popular place to begin to feel as if you're losing control. This IS common....

PeaceMuch
by Kali on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:22 PM
That's not me. Lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN