Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Should parents with babies too young to eat candy go trick-or-treating?

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:17 AM
  • 13 Replies

7 Reasons to Take Baby Trick-or-Treating

by Adriana Velez

princess leia costumeCongratulations! It's your first Halloween as a parent. You know what this means? For the first time since you were a kid you get to go trick-or-treating again. Candy for everyone, yayyyy!

What's that? Babies are too young to eat candy? Well of course, silly. The candy isn't for the baby -- it's for you! You're just using your baby as candy bait. Everyone will know that, and they will still totally respect you in the morning. Here's seven completely reasonable and not-at-all ridiculous reasons why you should go trick-or-treating with a baby.

1. The candy. Oh yeah right, like anyone is going to refuse you candy with a cute baby like that! Just look at that face. Anyone who makes a baby that cute definitely deserves a snack-sized Snickers or two.

2. It's free. Now that you're spending all of your money on diapers you have less money for candy. Why on God's green earth would you pass up an opportunity for free candy?

3. Everyone must see your baby's cute costume. Have you seen these adorable babywearing costumes? And these crazy costume pacifiers? Anyone replicating this incredible Jabba the Hutt/Princess Leia costume? You've already chosen/made the CUTEST baby Halloween costume, ever. And every single one of your neighbors needs to see it.

4. See and... C'mon, don't you want to see everyone else's costume? The kids get more creative every year.

5. Be seen. Let's face it, you haven't been out of the house more than a couple times since your baby was born two months ago. Get some fresh air. Walk around. Show them your baby didn't eat you both alive.

5. Reconnaissance. Someday your little one will be big enough to go trick-or-treating for their own candy. And you need to know what to expect. Who has the mini bars? Who gives away that shitty 100-year-old taffy and those Smarties no one likes.

6. It's legal. Is there a law against grownups with babies trick-or-treating? No, there is not. Okay? It's not like you're breaking a law or anything.

7. CANDY.

And now, just because I love it so much, let's enjoy that Jabba and Leia costume again.

Do you think parents with babies too young to eat candy should go trick-or-treating?

by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Lol. We took dd last year when she was 2 months, and are taking her this year when she is 14 months. It really isn't even about the candy. We are going with her cousins and SIL, so it will be a fun thing to do together and yes, I want to show off my beautiful girl in her cute costume.

mlb456
by Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Ds 1st time going he was 11months he was walking and could kinda say trick or treat so yep we took him and i dressed up with him :) dd went last year for her 1st time and she was 8months we probably wouldnt of took her if it wasnt for ds since she wasnt walking.. but hey anyone can take a couple licks from a loli pop lol
C.H.E.L.S.E.A
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I waited until last year, it was a month before he turned 3. I didn't see the point in taking him when he was a baby, it would just look like I'm out to get candy for myself. If someone takes a baby out with baby's older siblings or other older kids, I can see that obviously, but I personally don't see the point otherwise.

JRSMOM0621
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 12:12 PM

We took him out because we were taking our nephew trick or treating (he was 19 months). We didnt ask for candy for our baby

Mommy to one angel, 1 crazy toddler and 1 on the way!!
pumpkin1423
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Last year, DS was 6 months old. We dressed him up and let him play in the front yard while it was still light outside. Quite a few of the parents took their infants out, a few stopped and let the munchkins have mini playdate on our front lawn. 

This year, my kid is totally candy bait. Who doesn't go "awwww" when they see a toddler walking around. You know...that bubbly, unbalanced canter toddler have that is so dang adorable. Dress up that cuteness in a costume, hand it a bucket, and go for it! 

northernmommy
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:12 PM
My oldest first Halloween he was about 10 months old, I took him out with a friend and her older kids and we would walk the kids up to the doors. I never tried to get candy but often times would be offered some. Whenever I handed out candy in the past I always offered to the parents that came to the door with kids though so I didn't think it was weird.
tperez10
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:40 PM

DS was 5 months old when I took him out with my brother (10yrs old). This year, DS is 2 and DD is 3 months and they'll both be dressing up, but we're not gonna get candy for DD.

heatherlokey
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:00 PM

My son is 3 months old, and my husband and I are planning on taking him out this year! We bought him the cutest little Simba costume. (I love the Lion King!) We know he is young, but it really is a fun night to take our baby out and show him off, while getting some time out of the house ourselves!

lightning918
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Since I'm in Alaska I don't like taking DD out trick-or-treating, we go to Wal-Mart and do it there or other inside places. I took dd when she was 10 months. I wanted to show her off in her super cute rainbow elephant costume. If she was younger I don't know that I would have taken her. This year SIL will have a 6 day old baby she is on the fence about taking him.

Twin2Walker
by Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:33 PM

We are taking our 2 year old for the first time this year. In the past we have just stayed at home all dressed up handing out candy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN