Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

just want some opinions

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 4:59 PM
  • 9 Replies

I'm thinking of joining a little gym or something. I am the only one of my friends that had kids after HS. So thier kids are 3-5 and my baby is going on 4mo. She doesnt go to daycare since i got denied state bennefits my grandmother keeps her while im at work and school. I feel a tad lonely not having mommy friends that are on the stage i am and well she's an infant but I cant help but think she is too. But to be honest I know nothing of these gymboree mommy and me type programs outside of the stereotypes you see in comedies or dramas. how much interaction with kids did your kids have before school? Do they seem well adjusted?

by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
sumannie
by Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 5:05 PM

My kids have each other and a 9 year old cousin. I would like for them to interact with other kids their age but I don't have any friends outside of cm. I think that you should have sometime for yourself even if it is in the gym. You don't have to have it every day, just some days. Good luck!

pumpkin1423
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:19 PM
I am in your boat momma, scoot over!

I stay at home with my little one 19 months. I tried a kids gym to get him some social interaction and he always went and played by himself. The moms there weren't all that friendly either. I couldn't justify continuing to pay a monthly fee for something neither if us were getting anything out of. I don't want to deter you from trying that route though, most kids gyms let you try a class for free to see if your kiddo likes it.
I did do a couple of meet ups for play dates from meetup.com
I made a mommy friend, and then she moved away. :-(
Since then I've gotten a little discouraged.
k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 6:52 PM

My dd only has interaction with her cousins once in awhile as far as other kids go. She is 14 months. I'm not really worried, because when she does see kids she is very friendly and social and wants to play with them.

MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Oct. 29, 2013 at 7:13 PM
I think those programs can be quite costly.

You could look for local mommy and me play groups, or go to story time at your local library.
PeaceMuch
by Kali on Oct. 29, 2013 at 7:29 PM

They were around cousins and such.

Bookoholic
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 7:33 PM
YMCA is a good place for just you or you and your DD. Ds is four but they have playdates, gym, daycare, a lot of things for you, DD, your family. I don't know if this helps not sure if there is one in you area but its something to look into.
am06
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 7:49 PM

My oldest daughter didnt get much time with other kids. Only when I wld get together at family parties or if I took a trip to the park. She was fine till she turned two. Then all she wanted to do was play with someone (and that took up all my time to get things done) So now I take her to the park in the morning to get her fun with others and it works out. PLus side is she rarely gets sick and she doesnt get bad habits from other kids :)

luvmybug
by Amanda on Oct. 29, 2013 at 7:55 PM
Well, I did babysitting ever since my dd was an infant. She likes to play with my extra kids. We also joined a story time at the library. She was very well adjusted before school.
peanuteb
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:15 PM

I take my lo to gymboree.  Its once a week for 45 minutes-the first group is 0-6 months-we just graduated to the 6-10 month group.  There isnt much interaction-you do the stuff with your own baby.  We start with a baby massage, do singing and dancing.  Freeze dance, bubbles, parachute and tummy time on the mirror.  The moms get a question and we all answer in the group, such as what has changed since your baby is born or how do you get your baby to sleep or some other forum question.  The moms are friendly and we all get on, but we dont see each other outside the group.  I guess you could arrange play dates or something but our group never has-I think it is a little costly for what they do, but my mom gave my baby a year of gymboree....and I must say she really does like it.  Next week will be our first week in the 6 month group.  I think that is a little more interactive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN