Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What to do when it comes to Punishment(toddler)??

Posted by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 6:01 AM
  • 28 Replies

Okay so I have read a lot of parenting books, & it says when talking to a child you must use direct eye contact,mhm getting on their eye level and to talk to them firmly and directly without laughing to show them that what you mean what you say. But for some reason it doesnt work on my son. I have tried putting him in the corner but he just keeps getting out. I continue to inforce it but it feels like im not getting anywhere. He is very bad. He does not listen. I have lots to learn since I am barely 20. I just want to know, Am i doing something wrong or what?

Please Help!

by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 6:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pumpkin1423
by Bronze Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:14 AM

How old is your son and what is he doing that is "bad"?

MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:02 AM
How old Is he?

The toddler years can be Very frustrating with behavior.

My son is almost 3 and we do time-outs and natural consequences. For example, if he throws a toy, it is taken away with a simple explanation.

I also find when he is having a rough time, changing things up helps. Begin a game or activity, go outside and play, or put on music and dance together.

Sometimes they just want attention or are bored. :)
TheMommaJessie
by Bronze Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I swat my son every time he does something wrong he is 3 and I think he is finally starting to learn to behave.

mama2b100808
by Mandy on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:55 AM

How old is he? Because right now he is going through a phase and it will get better. Believe me it does. My daughter been through all of it. terrible 2, 3, and just calm down when she turn 4 but 5 is way better.

k9l1c5
by Platinum Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 10:36 AM

It really depends on his age. My little one is 14 months and doesn't listen yet either really, she is starting to sometimes but most of the time she doesn't. I know she is too young for "punishment", I just re-direct her and try to explain to her why we don't do that (ie: No no honey, that will hurt the baby). Or like MamaPeanut said, sometimes she is just bored or wants my attention so I stop what I'm doing and play with her or something.

PeaceMuch
by Kali on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:13 PM
How old?
Retrokitty
by Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:15 PM
I don't agree with time outs or spanking so I use alternative methods.
twicethemomjess
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Mine stay in the corner or they know I will keep putting them back in the corner even if I have to do it 50 times. I had to find a diff corner because ds slipped the screws out of the door hinges last time lol
kekegetsit
by New Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I'm sure it's not really you or your son. Probably just that you're both on two different levels, and every child is different. If punishment isn't working, have you tried positive reinforcement? Try this: When he does something unruly, give him a firm no and remove him from the area he's in. On the flip side, when he does something good, not matter how small, give him praise. Even if it's something small, like, "I'm so proud you didn't draw on the walls today. It makes me happy when you follow the rules!" Then give him a big smile. If he's anything like my kids, he wants to be recognized for the work he does. Whether it's good or bad, he is probably just seeking your attention. Almost all kids love to please their parents. Hope that is helpful. you rock

HopeAlive
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Great questions, mom! A lot of times, appropriate discipline depends on age... How old is your little guy? Also, you might be interested in this article. It's full of great ideas for appropriate discipline and other advice on raising kids... Hope it helps! :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)