Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Saw this in another group...

Posted by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:06 PM
  • 7 Replies
1 mom liked this
Someone was talking about how kids should just be expected to do chores and not get any money for them or an allowance for helping around the house. I have a 9yr old dd. She is expected to keep her room clean, but I give her a bit of money for extra chores I don't ask her to do. What do you do with your kids? I think it's good for her to be able to earn and save money by helping me out. Opinions?
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
pumpkin1423
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Growing up I had a list of chores that I HAD to do. And then I had a list of "Extra" chores I could do for money.

My required chores were cleaning my bedroom, bathroom, and doing my own laundry. 

Extra chores were: Vaccuuming the house, dusting, yardwork, other bathrooms, mopping...ect.

LoveJoy9563
by Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 3:08 AM

My mom had us do chores too but we didnt get an allowance per se but yet whenever we went to the store we would be able to get items. Another technique that I used for one of my clients was I had homemade smiley face coupons that had a value to each and then a treasure chest of small items we pre-bought. If they wanted something they seen in the store they save that amount in their smiley coupons. It was a good mode to use and easier to comprehend then actual money. (Kid was 5 years old and was on Autism spectrum)

CJsMommy92
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I had a list of chores to do every day and I got an allowance for it. I'll do the same with my son. 

Join us if you like Anime :) We talk about much more than just anime. We write short stories, read books together, share poems and quotes, review movies and much more if you'd like to join. Even if you're new to Anime we'd love to have you in our group. We are a no drama group and all ages are welcome.

jessicalahlah
by Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 9:09 AM

We give our 13 year old money whenever he needs it, but, when we ask him to do something, he better do it. If he wants a ton of money for something, he usually comes up with something on his own to barter with.

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 9:49 AM

My little one is too young to do chores, she is 14 months. But when she gets older there will be chores that she will have to do around the house that she will not get paid for. Neither df or I grew up having parents that could afford to pay us for doing chores, so it is doubtful there will be many she will get paid for just because that is how we were both raised. Now something I may do is extra money for good grades.

MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this
I do the same as you, OP. :)
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:45 AM

My kids don't have an allowance yet, when they get a bit older I will give them a small allowance.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)