Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Are you surprised by what kind of mom you are?

Posted by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 2:53 PM
  • 12 Replies

Is the kind of mom you are any different from the type of mom you thought you would be? How are you different?

girl giving flower

by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 2:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LoveMyBabies28
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 3:05 PM

I knew I would be a laid back mom when it came to smaller things. I am more strict when it comes to manners and being respectful. I am pretty sure I knew I would be pretty well rounded as a mother, because that is how I am as a person in general.

MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Nov. 1, 2013 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this
In most ways, yes, I am how I imagined myself being.

I never envisioned myself being a homeschooler, though. But, it's what was best for us and we all love it. :)
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Nov. 1, 2013 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this

To be honest, I never pictured myself as a Mom before becoming one. I think I'm a pretty good mommy though which is what I thought when I had my son lol.

LoveMyBabies28
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 3:41 PM

I am home schooling as well and we love it! I never really thought I would be home schooling either... =)

Quoting MamaPeanut:

I never envisioned myself being a homeschooler, though. But, it's what was best for us and we all love it. :)

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 3:41 PM

I am a little surprised by what kind of mom I am. I am a lot crunchier than I thought I would be. When I was pregnant with dd I mostly resarched car seat safety, so I knew I would be very into that and an extended rear facer. I had kinda looked into Cloth Diapering while pregnant, but wasn't sure if I could handle it or not.

And then when dd was 2 months old we switched to cloth. And I just seemed to get crunchier from there lol.

I was never into organic eating or anything before having her. I didn't even really know the difference between organic and regular things.

As far as parenting, I'm pretty much the same as I thought I would be there.

kissmiss213
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 3:47 PM

i thought i would be more artsy fartsy, really lax kinda hippy mom, and im not. im strict about certain things, but not on others. i believe in fostering the individuality of my kids, and i dont hover, but im not an artsy fartsy mom, i dont make cookies and pottery and teach my kids french...i dont believe in entertaining them at all. they can go outside and play, or go and read. they dont play video games on a regular basis (its like maybe once a month). they can solve their own friendship issues (unless of course there is bodily harm, and then adult intervention is needed).  I do insist that they will each play an instrument, but they get to choose what instrument it is. dd just started playing the violin, ds#1 is planning on the drums, so he has about 4 more years until he can join band. ds#2 isnt entirely sure, i just really dont like trumpets and i hope that he doesnt choose that, but if he does, that is his choice. 

MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Nov. 1, 2013 at 4:26 PM
It's good to know I'm not the only one! :)

Our daughter has been to private, public, and homeschooled, so we have had all the experiences, lol.

Quoting LoveMyBabies28:

I am home schooling as well and we love it! I never really thought I would be home schooling either... =)

Quoting MamaPeanut:

AliKatAK47
by Alicia on Nov. 1, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Yes. I didn't want to be a mom, period.  I am surprised about how good of a mother people tell me I am. I am constantly suprised about how tolerant I am of children (at least ones their age) since they came into my life.  And I'm suprised I actually love the mess out of 2 little munchkins that if you had asked me a year before they came to me, would have been in foster care.

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 9:57 PM

I am pretty laid back too with a lot of things. Unless it would compromise dd's safety. She is only 14 months so hasn't been disrespectful or had bad manners yet, but when we get to that point, yes that will be a big one with me too.

Quoting LoveMyBabies28:

I knew I would be a laid back mom when it came to smaller things. I am more strict when it comes to manners and being respectful. I am pretty sure I knew I would be pretty well rounded as a mother, because that is how I am as a person in general.

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 9:59 PM

I actually kinda did see myself being more artistic with her than I have been so far. She is only 14 months, so there are not many crafts at all that I can do WITH her, which is what I mostly want to do. We will see what actually happens when she gets older though lol.

Quoting kissmiss213:

i thought i would be more artsy fartsy, really lax kinda hippy mom, and im not. im strict about certain things, but not on others. i believe in fostering the individuality of my kids, and i dont hover, but im not an artsy fartsy mom, i dont make cookies and pottery and teach my kids french...i dont believe in entertaining them at all. they can go outside and play, or go and read. they dont play video games on a regular basis (its like maybe once a month). they can solve their own friendship issues (unless of course there is bodily harm, and then adult intervention is needed).  I do insist that they will each play an instrument, but they get to choose what instrument it is. dd just started playing the violin, ds#1 is planning on the drums, so he has about 4 more years until he can join band. ds#2 isnt entirely sure, i just really dont like trumpets and i hope that he doesnt choose that, but if he does, that is his choice. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN