Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Needs advice

Posted by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 4:05 PM
  • 8 Replies
Help please, I'm a cna and I'm being verbally and physically abused by my patient. I work with an agency and do in home care. I have to document everything. I have called and told the family and my agency. But all that is being done is my agency has documented it. I can't quit because i need to work. What are MY RIGHTS. Is any one else a inhome care cna . With same problem???!!! I'm not the only one being abused either, this is the norm for this person!!! Seeking advise!!! Thank you!!!
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 4:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Nov. 1, 2013 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Contact an attorney ASAP. And go higher up in the agency, because no one should have to suffer that.
CNAmother
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Mama pnut, i did go higher up. Was told same thing. The best they can do for me is remove me from case. I don't have that option right now, have bills needed to be paid. So for now just have to suffer through. Family members live in diff state and are not doing anything about it either. Thank you for your response!
k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this

It sounds like this person needs more than in home care if he is abusive like that. How exactly is he abusive? Can you apply for different CNA jobs than this one?

CNAmother
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 6:07 PM
Yes, smacking me in arm face breast ,any body with in reach. Im finding out the patient has more rights than me. :'( from what I'm being told basically the only thing i can do is quit. Don't want to hire an attorney. There crooks!!! I know from experience!!! ... Ty for your response!!! Have a blessedday!!! O:-)
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Nov. 1, 2013 at 7:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I used to do in home care and have had issues with physically and verbally abusive patients, Is he older? Alzheimer's/dementia patient? Can you ask to be reassigned?

CNAmother
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 9:21 PM
Yes, older, no all there, she's very cunning, she knows exactly what's she is doing. :-( yes i have asked to be taken off case.
k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh sorry, I assumed that 'she' was a 'he'. I'm sorry that you have to go through this and can't just up and quit because of the bills. That really stinks that the patient has more rights than you :/. You know if you were the one being abusive crap would hit the fan.

Quoting CNAmother:

Yes, older, no all there, she's very cunning, she knows exactly what's she is doing. :-( yes i have asked to be taken off case.

LoveJoy9563
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 2:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I also work in the field and we have forms of restraint/defense techniques that we are allowed to use. My advice would be to keep documenting but in the mean time review clients chart for previous abuse and find a possible trigger that is setting them off. The more you find out about the client the better the hopes that you can break through to them. and the most important thing DOCUMENT DOCUMENT DOCUMENT. I empathize with how menotenous it is but trust me its all about CYB  (cover your butt)  in our field. *hugs*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)