Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you have a bubble?

Posted by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 7:04 AM
  • 12 Replies

?As my mum puts it I could "talk to a brick wall" and if you have ever seen me in public I can make "friends" with anyone. You could ask anyone who has ever known me and they would tell you I'm a social person. I can laugh, talk and sincerly be interested in any conversation but that all comes with a price. Interacting with anyone causes me great distress. Because it seemed so inpolite to be anything other than everyone's "friend" I have been in the closet about my social anxiety. With every intereation there is always a steaming cup of tea packed full of herbal treatment for anxiety.  Now that I have my SO and we are homesteaders/farmers it's so easy to lock myself in my own little bubble. I am the happiest I have EVER been because our lifestyle keeps me too busy for friends or any interaction outside offamily and farm marketing. Well recently my SO tried hooking me up with this girl he works with, she is very nice and I can relate to her easily BUT I don't want friends. I tell myself I'm too busy which if you followed me around for a day you would see isn't all together untrue but at the heart of it I stay in my bubble for fear of anxiety. My SO is the only one who knows about my social anxiety, he is understanding but is starting to worry that it is unhealthy. I don't see anything wrong with it, it has made me the dedicated mother, lover and farmer that I am. Why do I need friends when I have everything I could ever need right here at home. Is this the start of something serious? I don't want to turn into that woman who needs a shrink just to leave her house but I honestly don't see any reason to leave the house, my family and my bubble. Is this normal? Do you have a bubble?  

by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 7:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
k9l1c5
by Platinum Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:32 AM

I like and enjoy staying home and not having to deal with people. But I don't have social anxiety... when we do go out somewhere I'm not afraid to interact with people, I just don't like a lot of people lol. I would talk to someone about this though. I'm not sure that it is normal :/.

MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:01 AM
That sounds like you may have some social anxiety issues. It's nothing to be ashamed of, but it's affecting your life, so therapy or medication could make things much easier.

My husband went though this from some mild PTSD after 2 tours in Iraq and he is back to 100% now after some help.

In general, I'm good in social situations, in a friendly way. But I don't spend a great deal of time around anyone unless I really like them.
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I have social anxiety

pumpkin1423
by Bronze Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I enjoy my bubble. I have friends, back home in VA and we make efforts to spend time with them. Every attempt I have made to make friends here in FL has been nothing short of disasterous. So I gave up. 

PrincessButton
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 6:17 AM

I guess I never thought of social anxiety before because I can rock any conversation I'm in but now that is has gotten worse, writing it "out loud" and reading that I'm not the only one who sees it as a possible issue I think I may look into it further. We don't believe in medication in our home but I'm sure there are other ways to deal with it, although as I'm responding the thought of dealing with it is enough to give me anxiety. 

I'm glad your husband got help and it doing better. Thank you for sharing!

Quoting MamaPeanut:

That sounds like you may have some social anxiety issues. It's nothing to be ashamed of, but it's affecting your life, so therapy or medication could make things much easier.

My husband went though this from some mild PTSD after 2 tours in Iraq and he is back to 100% now after some help.

In general, I'm good in social situations, in a friendly way. But I don't spend a great deal of time around anyone unless I really like them.

PrincessButton
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 6:26 AM

Do you attempt to make friends because you want to or because it's the right thing to do? Moving can be hard. When I moved 15hrs from home (came back 3 years later) my co-workers became my family. I'm glad someone else has and enjoys their bubble lol. I usually chalk up my issues to simply having a perfect life the way it is :)

Quoting pumpkin1423:

I enjoy my bubble. I have friends, back home in VA and we make efforts to spend time with them. Every attempt I have made to make friends here in FL has been nothing short of disasterous. So I gave up. 

PrincessButton
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 6:28 AM

I have social anxiety

How would you describe your social anxiety? How do you deal with it?

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Nov. 4, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Thankfully it is not as bad as it used to be,there were points in my life where even walking into a grocery store caused me to go into a panic attack.  I can control it better now but I still try to steer clear of overly cowded areas.

Quoting PrincessButton:

I have social anxiety

How would you describe your social anxiety? How do you deal with it?

MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Nov. 4, 2013 at 8:54 AM
It can be hard to recognize, I think, and it can gradually get worse over time.

I know there are many non-medication ways to help, including therapy, and relaxation and breathing techniques. :)

You are definitely not alone, and it's more common than I think most people realize.

Quoting PrincessButton:

I guess I never thought of social anxiety before because I can rock any conversation I'm in but now that is has gotten worse, writing it "out loud" and reading that I'm not the only one who sees it as a possible issue I think I may look into it further. We don't believe in medication in our home but I'm sure there are other ways to deal with it, although as I'm responding the thought of dealing with it is enough to give me anxiety. 

I'm glad your husband got help and it doing better. Thank you for sharing!

Quoting MamaPeanut:

pumpkin1423
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 9:20 AM
I tried to make friends with other parents so my son could have play dates. I am perfectly fine being alone all the time. My best friend and I see each other a few times a year in person, face time weekly, talk on the phone almost daily, and we have game nights on the Xbox.

Quoting PrincessButton:

Do you attempt to make friends because you want to or because it's the right thing to do? Moving can be hard. When I moved 15hrs from home (came back 3 years later) my co-workers became my family. I'm glad someone else has and enjoys their bubble lol. I usually chalk up my issues to simply having a perfect life the way it is :)

Quoting pumpkin1423:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)