Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who else gets sick of seeing children being raised by grandparents?

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 4:11 PM
  • 34 Replies
1 mom liked this

Has anyone else noticed that most parents in their twenties have children that seem to be raised mostly by their grandparents. Im 22 and have a 1 year old daughter who goes everywhere with me and does everything with me her dad works alot 3rd shift so during the day hes asleep its basically just us two. I dont ask my parents or his parents to watch her for us to go to a movie or out to eat or to the store I take her with us and include her. The only way I will leave her is if its to go to school or to court etc something children cannot be a part of. I will invite my mom or his mom to come down and help enterain her while I clean since we live so close together. It just annoys me that most people my age will find any excuse to leave their child behind to do what they want when they want. This is how I feel, Your parents raised you its not their responsibility to raise yours. If you dont want to be bothered with them sign them over dont just play mommy and daddy when its convienet.

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama2b100808
by Mandy on Nov. 6, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I am! Matter of fact we had a grandma pull her granddaughter out of preschool because her granddaughter wasn't being taught the way she wanted her to be taught.

Courtney610
by Courtney on Nov. 6, 2013 at 4:36 PM
2 moms liked this

I like my date nights every once in a while....  My husband and I need time together, without our kids.  I see no problem with that.  It doesn't mean I'm not raising my children.

DragonInfinity
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 4:48 PM

This exactly! 

Quoting Courtney610:

I like my date nights every once in a while....  My husband and I need time together, without our kids.  I see no problem with that.  It doesn't mean I'm not raising my children.

PeaceMuch
by Kali on Nov. 6, 2013 at 4:51 PM
Exactly!

Quoting Courtney610:

AllyB_
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 5:04 PM

I have a lot going on in my life and I'm blessed to have family who supports me. If I didn't get a break every once in a while I would crumble. and if I didn't have the extra help in the afternoons my kids would spend all day at daycare. My mom would rather pick them up early from daycare when she is off work and watch them for a few hours until I get home. She isn't raising my kids. 

Quoting PeaceMuch:

Exactly!

Quoting Courtney610:

HarlowsMom12
by New Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I believe parents who actually parent deserve a night out without the kids every now and again

C.H.E.L.S.E.A
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 6:06 PM

That annoys me so much! I have friends on facebook that go out 2-3 nights a week, always out all night getting drunk with other moms. It's ridiculous and disgusting! There's a huge difference between having a date night once in a while and constantly leaving your child with someone else to go out all the time. It's the ones that do it all the time that bother me.

MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Nov. 7, 2013 at 8:51 AM
It very sad, and I'm sure difficult for the kids and grandparents.

Grandparents are an important part of a family, and I think it's great when a child can spend time with them and the parents get a break, but they should not be the primary caregiver.
iamkristen
by New Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 9:16 AM
2 moms liked this

I think a big misconception to this is that just because mom and child is living with the childs grandpartents does not mean that the child is being raised by the grandparents!! 

I was 19 when i had my daughter, and am only 20 now. I am a single mom and I still live with my parents. But that does not mean that my parents are raising my daughter!! I make ever decision that needs to be made, i buy everything she needs.. Just because i am not in a place that i can move out on my own does not mean that i pawn off my motherhood duties to my daughters grandparents!! 

BlueSparrow
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

We dont. However i dont think its so wrong to have a date night. My parent did...It was bonding time with my grandparents. Nothing wrong with that

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)