Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Am I overreacting or would this annoy you too?

Posted by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 12:53 AM
  • 15 Replies

If there was an isolated incident it wouldn't be a big deal but she is always doing little things like this. my mom is always giving into my 4 year old twins and spoiling them.

She picks them up from daycare when she gets off work and I pick them up from her house at the end of the day. Today when I was getting them ready to  leave she mentioned they had their big trains with them. I told her, we have trains like that I'm not taking those home. she said, "no no I went to your house after I got them from school and got those" she literally went out of her way to drive our apartment to get these trains because the 4 year old wanted them and she "didn't want to fight" with him about it. 

It annoyed me. she shouldn't go completely out of her way all the way to my house to get a toy to take to her house just because a 4 year old wants it. they have 1000's of toys her house and my house. they would be fine without it. 

ok granted, Matty has bipolar disorder and his meltdowns and rages can be really hard to handle, really frustrating and scary and she doesn't understand how to deal with him so she does give into him a lot because she is afraid of these meltdowns. I dont' blame her, however I keep trying to tell her, everytime you give into him and his brother, you're teaching them that they have the control. but she doesn't listen to me.

by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 12:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 2:30 AM

She will learn soon enough.  Why doesnt she just keep them at your apartment then to save you gas money?  I have only had to deal with adults that were diagnosed with bipolar so not sure how i would handle a child's meltdown that is caused by it.

esox
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:44 AM
Eh, as long as it doesn't bother you or start to cause problems when you have them I don't see it being too bad. I do believe that she is helping to create a little monster for herself though.
HopeAlive
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I'm sorry to to hear of your frustrations... Have you had any conversations with her about this?

Fatimasmommi
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Thats what grandmas do though, they want to make the grand kids happy. I alos think the bipolar disorder has somethingto do with it as well. Shes not comfortable and doesnt know how to handle a melt down. But dont stress too much, the kids will learn with you and know what they can and cant get away with, with certain people. She actually making it harder for herself.
tperez10
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 5:37 AM

It is annoying. My mom always gives in to DS, but that's just how she is. DS has a bib that says, "'No' means 'ask grandma.'"

TempestRayne
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 7:03 AM

If you don't like the way she takes care of the kids, find someone else.

MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:37 AM
I agree.

Perhaps you could both see his Dr to explain the consequences of her spoiling them?

Quoting frndlyfn:

She will learn soon enough.  Why doesnt she just keep them at your apartment then to save you gas money?  I have only had to deal with adults that were diagnosed with bipolar so not sure how i would handle a child's meltdown that is caused by it.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:44 AM

It's not always easy to tell the Grandparents something and have them abide by it. I'd just keep reinforcing the fact that she not give in to their every whim but if your not there you can't force her to listen ya know? Good luck hun.

mama2b100808
by Mandy on Nov. 9, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I don't think you are over reacting. They have to deal with that. What are they going to do when they start school? Because a teacher isn't going to drive to your house and get a toy or whatever they want.

RedHeadTemper
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 6:56 PM

It would annoy me. It bothers me when my dad ALWAYS picks up my 2yr old DD. I mean she loves to be held and that's partially my fault since I held her ALL the time when she was a baby but she has two perfectly good legs she can walk with and she gets pissed when I don't carry her through the store, or around the house and I feel like once I've gotten some where with her, he sets her back picking her up all the darn time! GAH sorry mini vent but no I don't think you are over reacting. He's YOUR kid not hers and I always get so annoyed when my parents try to go against what I say or when they try to discipline my daughter. Yeah if I'm not there ok put her in a corner but nothing more and tell me about it so I can be her parent. Gah lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN