Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Do you let your toddler use your computer?

Posted by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 9:10 AM
  • 15 Replies

Forget Playtime, Your Toddler Needs Screen Time!

by Mary Fischer

toddler on computer

Before I had kids, I was one of those people who insisted my child would never EVER so much as touch a video game controller, computer mouse, or anything else remotely associated with technology. He was going to color and build stuff with blocks and frolic in the backyard and all that jazz. Then one day when he was about 2 years old, he got a hold of our Mac and was addicted to the damn thing in an instant.

And I probably could've stopped his fascination with the computer right then and there and never let him get near it again, but I didn't. Why? Because, duh -- letting him play on it for 20 minutes or so each day let me do things like throw in a load of laundry, empty and reload the dishwasher, or just sit down and catch my breath.

And while in the back of my head I kept thinking, "This is a really crappy mom move. You're frying his brain by letting him stare at that screen ..." -- in hindsight, I'm so glad I gave in and let him take the Mac for a spin. Because now, at 7 years old, he's a total whiz at technology and picks it up so quickly -- a skill that is going to be essential to him as he grows up and the next "big thing" comes out. Which it will ... over and over and over again.

Love it or hate it -- technology isn't going anywhere. It's only going to evolve and grow even more until it probably won't even be necessary for us to have physical interactions with anyone ever again. (Which kind of sucks, but whatever.)

And if I hadn't introduced my son to technology as early as I did, I can't help but wonder how much more difficult it would be to explain things to him now, as opposed to when he just figured it out for himself as a toddler. (One less thing on my plate. Winning.)

I'm not saying you should plop your kiddo down in front of a screen for hours on end each day, but trust me -- you're doing both him and yourself a favor by handing over the mouse. Think of it as giving him a little early study time for something he's not going to be able to live without in the future.

Actually, you're kind of doing him a disservice if you don't let him fumble around with the computer once in a while. (Yeah. That's my theory, and I'm stickin' to it.)

Do you let your toddler use your computer?

by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 9:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 9:21 AM

My little one is 14 months, and I sure don't LET her try to use my laptop at all. She likes to watch youtube videos though like Hooplakidz, Mother Goose Club and Baby Einstein so I think she thinks this thing is hers though cuz she is always trying to get at it. She loves to open it and try to type if I don't have it put up somewhere. If it is anywhere in her reach, she is trying to get at the laptop...

So, Santa is looking into getting her a tablet for Christmas, because I have schoolwork to do on my laptop. And have already replaced the screen on it twice (myself), really don't want to do it again if she would break it.

mama2b100808
by Mandy on Nov. 7, 2013 at 9:23 AM

My daughter is 5 and been playing on the desktop since she was 3 years old. :)

BlueSparrow
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Yes on abcmouse.com

Nino2081
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 9:25 AM
Hi, i have a 7 year ild girl, twins boy and girl that are 6 and a 22 month old. They all use ipads since they were 2, and they all have ipads invluding the 22 month old. If thay have educational games and you control the time they use it theres nothing wrong with it. But i also encourage VERY MUCH going out to play doing creative stuff, going to museums; i like that and my kids love it. Or simply go out for a walk cause, is healthy, just have a balance.
babie113
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 9:29 AM
yes hes more computer literate than most 50+yo

he has his own login and its got parental control on he can only access a few games and he can only go on pbskids.org and netflix for kids thats it
TempestRayne
by Donna on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:24 AM
yep.
kamaira
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 12:02 PM

my baby isnt quite a toddler yet but i would. the way thingsare going it might be necessary for them to have a good sense of technology. Of course she'll be supervised and will probably be using more educational software than actual interney access. And she wouldnt be allowed hours a day or anything

Amberlynn2010
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 12:10 PM
My son will be three in December and loves playing on my iPad. He only plays educational games, and ones that teach him colors shape ect.. But he either plays the iPad or watches tv. Never both within the same few hours. && it has parental locks so he's locked in the game that he's playing. Because he's smart enough to go trough the apps and look at all Sorts of things. :)
MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Nov. 7, 2013 at 4:19 PM
My son doesn't have a big interest in the desktop course or our laptops.

He has his own iPad and iPod touch, so he plays with those a lot.
roseblossom90
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't let my 20 month old on my computer but she still sneaks on it when I go into another room. Of course, she has no idea what she is doing so this has led to random IM's to random people, computer freezes and shutdowns, and other things that I would prefer not to happen to my computer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)