Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

How do you deal with people who want to hold your baby? Would you ever consider THIS?

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:55 AM
  • 18 Replies

Mom's 'Do Not Touch' Sign on Baby's Stroller Outrages Touchy, Feely Jerks

by Jeanne Sager

don't touchTaking your baby out in public can be a lot of fun. People crowd around to coo and offer to hold the little darling. Then again, taking your baby out in public can be a nightmare because, well, people crowd around to coo and offer to hold the little darling. Sometimes they don't even offer; they just pick your baby up without asking! I remember these days all too well. So well, in fact, that when I heard about a mom and dad who hung a "do not touch" sign on their baby's stroller, I wanted to track them down and slap them on the back.

I get it! I really get it!

Too bad the parents' family didn't.

On relative took to social media site Reddit to complain about the sign, which she said was propped on the baby's stroller at a family reunion:

It's not just the sign, it's the fact that whenever anyone would get close to the baby, they were waved off, and barred from even looking at him, which kind of rubbed all of us the wrong way ... Is the baby sign a normal thing? Or does he think his kid doesn't shit and cry just like the rest of us?

OK, so not letting anyone "look" at the baby might sound a little strange. Then again, maybe these parents have just figured out what most parents realize after maybe the third or fourth big outing with baby: babies are like magnets for crazy people.

More From The Stir: Why New Moms Shouldn't Ask Visitors to Wash Hands Before Holding Baby

The aunt who keeps hacking and really doesn't get WHY she shouldn't be coughing up a lung next to an infant.

That uncle who always has something slightly inappropriate to say, making you wonder just what he is thinking that he DOESN'T say.

The teenager who doesn't understand that the baby is finally sleeping, so no, it's not a good time to hold their little cousin.

Cheek pinchers ...

Need I go on?

The truth is, you could deal with each one of them individually. That's what most of us do, but that's probably because we never had the chutzpah to just cut people off at the pass!

We're all so afraid of a reaction like the one above that we end up making ourselves nuts.

Frankly, I wish I'd had the guts to hang a "do not touch" sign on my baby's stroller or car seat when she was an infant. People may have been offended, but at least I wouldn't have had to worry about my infant catching pink eye from someone who didn't think it mattered that they had a face full of conjunctivitis before reaching over to snatch up my baby for a cuddle.

How do you deal with people who want to hold your baby? Would you ever consider a sign like this?

by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 8:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iamkristen
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:02 AM
If the person is a total whackadoodle then I use the excuse that my LO has stranger anxiety and that they're welcome to look but can't hold. But if I don't get any goofy vibes or it's a neighbor I ask politely that they use a hand wipe but sure they can hold her! Part if the fun of being a new parent is showing off the prized possession!!
AydensMommy1008
by Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:08 AM

I just always said 'yes' or 'no' and if it was a yes, then I always had sanitizer ready for hands before holding my baby. If its a no, then too bad, Idgaf what you think. lol

nebcutie
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:09 AM
If your family is so bad that you don't want them looking at your child then don't go to the family reunion. I don't mind my family wanting to hold the baby but i do not have scary family so that helps. Lol
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Luckily my kids were not such friendly babies lol. If you got to close to them they would go off, turned off most people who wanted to hold them.

justinnaimee
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:37 AM
I can honestly say I've never even had a stranger ask to hold my baby. I've had some pat heads or touch their hands but that's it.

As far as family goes mine seems to have common sense. They don't touch if they're sick.
MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:47 AM
Honestly, I think the signs are a great idea.

Call me a germ a phobe, but I don't want random strangers, who I know nothing about, touching my baby or kids.

Hell, my in-laws are smokers and Dh set ground rules that they cannot touch our kids without changing clothes, brushing teeth and washing hands first.
kstorm234
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 4:58 PM
I've never had a stranger ask to hold my child but there's no way I would let them. If anyone just picked up my child without asking I would go off.
TempestRayne
by Donna on Nov. 9, 2013 at 6:03 PM

i thought about it with my youngest. I made my BIL wear a surgical mask when he held my son at thanksgiving or christmas his first year, because he had a cough and my little guy was somewhat medically fragile. a cold or the flu would have been devastating to his body.

lovemymini
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 6:05 PM
Another reason to wear your baby. I didn't have any issues with strangers coming up to touch while I was wearing DS. I only had issues when he was in a stroller or his car seat.
moosesmom
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 8:29 PM
I say "no, don't pick her/him up right now" simple.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)