Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PYLORIC STENOSIS

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 10:47 PM
  • 5 Replies

My son was diagnosed with pyloric stenosis when he was about 3 weeks old. Before surgery, he was vomitting after every feeding, he could not keep food down at all. Now he is almost 11 weeks old, he no longer vomits, but he do spit up after every meal. The Pedi said it could be acid reflux or there could be a chance that the surgery wasn't 100% complete. I've been thickening his formula with rice cereal for the past couple days and it has helped a LOT! We go for an upper GI next week to make sure the surgery was successful, I was just wondering has anyone dealt the this? Has anyone's child had this surgery and it wasn't successful the first time? I'm thinking it's just reflux since the cereal has been helping a lot. But i'm still a worried mother who doesn't want he child to go through that again.

Also, the pedi told us to make formula as thick as pea soup...i have been and he holds it down fine, thank God. His bottles just look scary..

by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
grassygreen
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I had pyloroc stenosis and so did my oldest son. We both had the surgery at 3 weeks. My son still spit up a little after almost every bottle but his doctor wasn't concerned because it is normal for babies to spit up a little. Hopefully you can get everything cleared up!
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this

My nephew had Pyloric Stenosis but as far as I know the first surgery was successful and he is just fine now. Hope someone can help a little more.

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:54 AM

My younger daughter had it, diagnosed at 2mos. She was still spitting up some after her surgery but they determined in the hospital that she also had reflux on top of the pyloric stenosis and they told us that it's pretty common that if a child has a problem with the valve at one end of the stomach, they'll have one with the other end as well. She was put on Enfamil AR - the formula with rice starch in it, and that pretty much did it. :)

LumbeeMommy13
by New Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Is the ENFAMIL AR pretty thick?

Quoting Cafe Steph:

My younger daughter had it, diagnosed at 2mos. She was still spitting up some after her surgery but they determined in the hospital that she also had reflux on top of the pyloric stenosis and they told us that it's pretty common that if a child has a problem with the valve at one end of the stomach, they'll have one with the other end as well. She was put on Enfamil AR - the formula with rice starch in it, and that pretty much did it. :)

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Yes, it's a powder and pretty thick because of the rice, but because you mix it with water yourself, you can control the thickness and make it as thick as you need. It's pricy, but we were able to write the cost off on taxes because it was a doctor's prescribed formula for her.

Quoting LumbeeMommy13:

Is the ENFAMIL AR pretty thick?

Quoting Cafe Steph:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)