Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

babtism/christening....

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 9:08 AM
  • 8 Replies
Do you have to have godparents?

If so can u have 2 of each? And how woyld that work?

And is it ok to have none?
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Simple-Beauty
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 9:37 AM

We're not religious but we've designated a person to take care of our children should something happen to us.  Actually, that person has changed a few times over the last 8 years, I don't know how that works when it translates to religious families. Do god parents get designated on a will? 

peanuteb
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:11 AM

I think it depends on religion.  DD has a godmother, but no godfather.  The godparent has to be catholic(as we are), in good standing with the church. We had no male catholic friends and all the cousins were women.  We were told you only need one.  I dont know what they do if you have no one that qualifies.  The godparent is supposed to be responsible, if for any reason, the parents can not give the child the religious aspects of her life, church, sacrements and prayers.  Being a godparent does not mean if something happens to you, they get the child.  That has to be stipulated, legally in a will or something.  As far as having more than 2, I know the royals all have 5-10 godparents.  Dont know if they are all official or only one is the "real" one and the others are just names.

TempestRayne
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 3:13 PM

of course it is okay to have none.

aj_mom
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 5:41 PM

My kids both have the same godparents. I wanted my brother and sister-in-law to  be but they were unable to be for various reasons.

cdjd23
by Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Depending on the religion you have to have god parents. For instance I'm catholic, I chose to have just one person but that person has to have been baptized and confirmed in the catholic faith. I know some people use god parents as more of someone to guide their child growing up and not necessarily in a faith based manner.

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 8:53 PM

When I was baptised I had two sets of Godparents. We are Catholic.

dewitte011
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 9:07 PM

My son was baptised over the weekend. We chose my brother, and one of his friends. 

RachelBy
by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 3:53 AM
I am Roman Catholic but my husband is Christian and both being in the military at the time we didn't have 6 weeks for him to take the classes back home at my family's church he would need. So our daughter was baptized at a Lutheran Church, my brother and sister are her God parents. But per our wills if something were to happen to us my parents would raise her, god parents for us are to guide her in her religious journey. If my parents were unable to care for her though my sister would, when my daughter was born my sister was 17 now she's older but I would still choose my mom lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN