Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

SAHM...do you ever think about this??? wwyd??

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 12:12 PM
  • 23 Replies

So i work part time, 20 hours a week. Its enought to get me out of the house for little and to have a little spending money. Its nice what i have but i deffinetly would not be able to afford the bills alone if something happened to my SO. It freaks me out! Probably because my mother was a SAHM and my dad went down a dark path and left us to fend for ourselves. My mother had to work 3 jobs and still didnt want the amout of money that my dad did.

So i always worry, what if something happens, what am i going to do? i want to be prepared! So i keep pushing the school idea on myself so that i have something to fall back on.

.. How do you SAHM feels? For the ones that DONT already have a degree--- do you ever think how i do? Have you made any plans for yourself or prepared?

..and i feel if nothing bad ever happened at least this way i would be able to help bring in extra money! and i would have a career for myself! .. i LOVE being at home with my kids, but when people ask me about my job now, i feel ... unaccomplished. :(

by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Simple-Beauty
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 12:40 PM
I don't worry at all about my husband (of almost 10 years) up and leaving me, but if he died I'd be able to live off of life insurance while finishing my degree. I could also get my photography business going again if there were an immediate need for me to work.

I think it's very important that all women have a backup plan.
Mommy4-27-08
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 12:50 PM
I got my degree when me and my ex broke up because I was left with nothing and it was horrible. I was completely broke anf had two kids and no way out. I was lucky that family helped so I could go back to school and then my best friend and me started dating and it was important to him that I continue being a stay at home mom and get my degree, so that's what I did. I wouldn't make the same amount as him, but I would make enough to live on and possibly finish my post graduate to make more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BlessedAgain3
by Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 1:45 PM

thats great! what did you get your degree in?

Quoting Mommy4-27-08: I got my degree when me and my ex broke up because I was left with nothing and it was horrible. I was completely broke anf had two kids and no way out. I was lucky that family helped so I could go back to school and then my best friend and me started dating and it was important to him that I continue being a stay at home mom and get my degree, so that's what I did. I wouldn't make the same amount as him, but I would make enough to live on and possibly finish my post graduate to make more.

esox
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 1:51 PM
It is a scary thought. I have no idea what I would do. I already have my degree but after working in the field for a few years I know its not something I would want to get back into. Perhaps freelance work with people with visual impairments or working as a receptionist in an eye doctors office.
Those are my two ideas right now for what I want to do in a few years once my kids start school.
Mommy4-27-08
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 1:55 PM
Pre-law. With it, I can be a paralegal.

Quoting BlessedAgain3:

thats great! what did you get your degree in?

Quoting Mommy4-27-08: I got my degree when me and my ex broke up because I was left with nothing and it was horrible. I was completely broke anf had two kids and no way out. I was lucky that family helped so I could go back to school and then my best friend and me started dating and it was important to him that I continue being a stay at home mom and get my degree, so that's what I did. I wouldn't make the same amount as him, but I would make enough to live on and possibly finish my post graduate to make more.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PeaceMuch
by Kali on Dec. 9, 2013 at 2:18 PM
I am honestly not worried about my husband up and leaving me (we have been together almost 10 years). Bur if he were to pass suddenly he has life insurance and it is enough for us to live on while I go to school or find work.
TempestRayne
by Donna on Dec. 9, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I want to go back to school so badly, i have to fight tears about it some times. I work PT and only make about four hundred a month.  He has insurance in case of the worst, but i don't know how far it will go after final expenses.

ajrjj05
by Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I work about 16 hours a week. My husband makes good money. If the kids where under 18 they'd get a check for him so that would help me out. We also have a large life insurance policy on both of us. We'd be all set if something happened to either of us. 

ajrjj05
by Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 3:15 PM

You might want to up it then. We have enough so I could last 10 yrs! or more on it. 

Quoting TempestRayne:

I want to go back to school so badly, i have to fight tears about it some times. I work PT and only make about four hundred a month.  He has insurance in case of the worst, but i don't know how far it will go after final expenses.

ChancesMommy07
by Jessica on Dec. 9, 2013 at 4:02 PM

I don't worry about it. I've been with my husband for 15 years and I don't worry at all about him leaving. And if something were to happen to him then his life insurance is more than enough to live off of until I went back to work. Not to mention we have several investments I could draw on. I'm a nurse and I keep my license current so going back to work is definitely something that I could do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)