Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

5 year old emotional girl HELP!

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 7:43 PM
  • 6 Replies

My 5 almost 6 yo dd has been very emotional and sensitive lately. This has gone on for awhile. She cries at the drop of a hat, sometimes for nothing. I have asked her what is worng and she says I just don't know. When she was little I always knew when she was faking her crying, but these are the real tears. I don't know what to do and I just want to know if any of your moms ever went through this. Is this a phase? What can I do? 

by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 7:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
SarahJ86
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 11:09 PM
Hmmm that's tough. I only have a 4 year old boy. But I have a 6 year old niece who is very emotional right now. In August my son and I brought cupcakes over the morning of her birthday. She answered the door in absolute hysterical tears. I asked my SOL what was wrong she shrugged and rolled her eyes. Apparantly my niece was upset because she thought her birthday was over. And her brother ruined it and so on. It's like one little thing will happen and then domino effect. It's sooo weird and we have to walk on eggshells a little bit. She's never been like this... It's really weird. Sounds kind of the same. It sounds like hormonal PMS at 6 lol. And awful!! I'm sorry. I really don't have much advice just that I have seen that. :( hope someone else has advice. My SOL usually just lets her cry or out because there is nothing to do haha. :(
amanda_0809
by Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 7:50 PM
My 5 year old son gets emotional at times (im tryin to get him outta it too) but what i do is talk to him about what bothers him and he snaps outta it. Just keep asking her and get to the bottom of it.
adulation
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:08 PM
Hmm, I'm really not sure. My daughter is 6 but she hasn't gone through anything like that. Have there been any changes in her life recently?
CupOfCake88
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 11:04 PM
My 8 yr old was the same way very emotional over the littlest things. She started to see her counselor and a therapist and we found out she has ADHD and that was a lot of the problem we did therapy and counseling positive reinforcement. It seemed like it helped a little but then it stopped helping. She is now on a low dose of rittelin (sp?) and she's doing so well. Bringing home good behavior reports and on the honor roll. I would talk to your doctor or if she's in kindergarten make an app with the counselor. I'm not saying she has ADHD but it's something you could look into. She could just be very sensitive. As long as it doesn't stop her from doing the things she loves.
chelseamom4
by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 2:14 AM
My son is almost 6 and he got sick and the dr gsve us this cough syrup and it made him like that snd he has activity induced asthma and they put him on singular for it and it make him like that he took both for a couple of days then didn't take them any more my dr said it was a bad reaction he gets that way with almost anything he takes
aiden032809
by Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 1:18 PM

sounds like my niece. she cries over almost anything and everything that happens to her. but its becuz her mother gives in to every emotion she gets or has so she thinks thats a way to get attention?. thats what i see, its very over whelming even for my sisterr i just watch my sister and she is so exhausted but still caters to her every whimper. she is 4 now and it hasnt gotten any better. im not sure if its a girl thing (i have a son) or its how you raise them or both? when i do babysit her during the weekend, it always makes me thankful for my care free easy going boy lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN