Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Why would someone throw something like that away????

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 3:04 PM
  • 30 Replies
1 mom liked this
Ok, long story short, my daughter and I moved to Texas about the months ago. We moved in with my boyfriend who was living in a one bedroom apartment. Obviously, there was not enough room for an extra bed, so my 8 year old slept in the couch until we were able to get into the bigger apartment.

Fast forward to yesterday and the day before: We had (1) to wait for the last to be up in his apartment-the 8th-, and (2) we had to wait for a two bedroom to become available-the 13th-.

We picked up the keys late Friday evening and began the move...still without a bed for my daughter. The reason for this is that I was living with (taking care of) my Grammie prior to this move, and she had a spare room with two twin beds. I obviously didn't need to buy one. Well, she told me i could take one with me when we got the new apartment, which was great. However, that would have left Karina bedless for a week. (We go back home for the holidays next weekend.)

Anyway, as we were moving one of the first loads yesterday, my boyfriend slotted a couple of guys throwing out a mattress wrapped in plastic. When he asked then about it, he found out it was a perfectly nice twin bed, complete with 4 drawers and a cabinet underneath. The one we were GOING to get was just a standard twin with headboard and footboard.

Well, the guys told us we could have it. The only thing wrong with it was that they no longer had room for it or needed it at all. My daughter felt like Christmas had come early, lol. She's begged in the past for a bed like that, but it was never feasible...until yesterday. We set it up immediately, and we're all happy she no longer has to sleep on the couch. :-) I know this is mostly pointless, but things have been rollercoaster-like for a while, and we're all really happy that something good finally happened.
by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Red_Tempest
by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 3:07 PM
10 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

This is the bed in her new room.
mama-smurf
by Silver Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this
If you dont have room for it why put it in storage where its going to cost? I would have done the same thing.
Mandallyn
by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 3:27 PM
I don't know why people throw out perfectly good furniture. Most charitable thrift stores will send a truck out to pick up furniture for free. Not to mention they could have sold it on Craigslist.

But you're lucky they were in this case. That's great that she got a bed, and such a nice one!
Red_Tempest
by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm beyond grateful. We have a lot to move down here after our trip, and we didn't know how we would fit a bed, too. Now we don't have to worry about it. :-)

Quoting Mandallyn: I don't know why people throw out perfectly good furniture. Most charitable thrift stores will send a truck out to pick up furniture for free. Not to mention they could have sold it on Craigslist.

But you're lucky they were in this case. That's great that she got a bed, and such a nice one!
MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Dec. 15, 2013 at 7:16 PM
1 mom liked this
That's excellent!

Sometimes good things just come our way. :)

Quoting Red_Tempest:

Mobile Photo

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Dec. 15, 2013 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Aww it is awesome!

Quoting Red_Tempest:

Mobile Photo

Massage-Mom
by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 8:58 PM

the only reason these people threw it away on that day is because fate wanted you guys to see it

Red_Tempest
by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm inclined to agree with you. :-)

Quoting Massage-Mom:

the only reason these people threw it away on that day is because fate wanted you guys to see it

Courtney610
by Courtney on Dec. 15, 2013 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Awesome! :)
srm8824
by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 1:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't have thrown it away! It's really nice. I probably would have given it away or donated it... someone can get use out of it (obviously!)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN