Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Why would someone throw something like that away????

Posted by   + Show Post
Ok, long story short, my daughter and I moved to Texas about the months ago. We moved in with my boyfriend who was living in a one bedroom apartment. Obviously, there was not enough room for an extra bed, so my 8 year old slept in the couch until we were able to get into the bigger apartment.

Fast forward to yesterday and the day before: We had (1) to wait for the last to be up in his apartment-the 8th-, and (2) we had to wait for a two bedroom to become available-the 13th-.

We picked up the keys late Friday evening and began the move...still without a bed for my daughter. The reason for this is that I was living with (taking care of) my Grammie prior to this move, and she had a spare room with two twin beds. I obviously didn't need to buy one. Well, she told me i could take one with me when we got the new apartment, which was great. However, that would have left Karina bedless for a week. (We go back home for the holidays next weekend.)

Anyway, as we were moving one of the first loads yesterday, my boyfriend slotted a couple of guys throwing out a mattress wrapped in plastic. When he asked then about it, he found out it was a perfectly nice twin bed, complete with 4 drawers and a cabinet underneath. The one we were GOING to get was just a standard twin with headboard and footboard.

Well, the guys told us we could have it. The only thing wrong with it was that they no longer had room for it or needed it at all. My daughter felt like Christmas had come early, lol. She's begged in the past for a bed like that, but it was never feasible...until yesterday. We set it up immediately, and we're all happy she no longer has to sleep on the couch. :-) I know this is mostly pointless, but things have been rollercoaster-like for a while, and we're all really happy that something good finally happened.
by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Replies (21-30):
amandaleebee
by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this
When we moved from our 2 bedroom and den to just our two bedroom ( my sister had been living with us and then moved in with her bf) we had a perfectly good wood futon that sat in the den with all of LO's stuff and neither my sister not my SO and I had room for it and the only thing it was used for was for clean laundry to pile up on so when we moved we left it in the carport . It was spring time so we didn't want it to get wet and ruined from the rain.
steffielou_who
by Stefanie on Dec. 16, 2013 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I just recently threw out my ds bed frame because he wouldn't quit jumping on it.. Plus, he was getting to big for it.. He sleeps on just a mattress on the floor for now.. But when I put it out, I posted on Facebook for everyone that out was out in my driveway for free..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Red_Tempest
by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 5:34 PM
1 mom liked this
It really was. My boyfriend invited then over the next time we grill, lol.

Quoting MistyMoo: Yay! That was very nice of them.
Jewl-e
by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this

People are wasteful... Ive given away a toddler bed and mattress and a futon with mattress to people who needed it because I didnt have room for it. My neighbors throw all kinds of things away like that and it irks me something awful because I know people would be happy as a clam to claim it. I'd rather it go to someone in need than to the dump... Its a really nice bed!!! Glad yall grabbed it.

mom12341234
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:20 PM

hey as long as theres no bugs or anything that sounds great!! love free stuff. if you live near and army base in texas u might get lucky like that again i rember when my hubby was in we always got stuff from other solidiers who were deploying or didnt nned stuff anymore they some times just throw stuff away  too.  also oyu might try going  to yard sales or even on-line yard sales  you would be amazed at what you can find for good prices or even free. i knew a solider friend who sold his brand new 2007 ford something or other for about 800 because he was deploying and had no were to store it. so be on the look out for good deals like that.

Red_Tempest
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 9:54 PM
I'll definitely look into that. We're down in Corpus Christi, so I don't know where much is, but my boyfriend probably does! :-) Thanks!

Quoting mom12341234:

hey as long as theres no bugs or anything that sounds great!! love free stuff. if you live near and army base in texas u might get lucky like that again i rember when my hubby was in we always got stuff from other solidiers who were deploying or didnt nned stuff anymore they some times just throw stuff away  too.  also oyu might try going  to yard sales or even on-line yard sales  you would be amazed at what you can find for good prices or even free. i knew a solider friend who sold his brand new 2007 ford something or other for about 800 because he was deploying and had no were to store it. so be on the look out for good deals like that.

Supermommyof423
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this
So happy for yall. Now you get to live and be happy.
angiejones256
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 9:46 AM
Thats a lucky girl. I wanted a bed like that when I was little I love the draws.
dolphinlover325
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this
That was really nices
Red_Tempest
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Haha,I did, too. :-)

Quoting angiejones256: Thats a lucky girl. I wanted a bed like that when I was little I love the draws.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)