Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

When do you lay your baby down for a nap?

Posted by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 10:05 AM
  • 8 Replies

My Son Jayden is 8 months old. He sleeps 10-12 hours a night. Only wakes up once to eat and have a diaper change. He usually takes 3-4 naps a day. Usually wakes up around 7. Eats breakfast at 8-830. Then lays down for a nap. Sometimes it can be a cat nap 10-20 mins. Other times like today its 1 hour or longer. Then depending on when he gets hungry again. Sometimes noon he wants a bottle.Then takes a nap. 20-30 mins. Other times 2- 3 he wants lunch which is a jar of veggies and a 4oz bottle. Then he usually takes another nap when he gets done eating. Its usually a cat nap 20-40 mins. Usually after 3 he wont nap again. He stays awake till bedtime. We start his night time routine at 6:30. I hand him off to his Dad so I can pick up his toys and wash out his bowls he ate out for the day. Then I get his bath stuff ready. He gets his bath at 7. Eats his night time bottle afterwards. Takes his meds. I turn the lights out. He sits in his bouncer and hangs out. I wash bottles and make one for the middle of the night. After that I bounce him in his bouncer until he falls asleep. Which for the past few nights has been before 8 which is really unusual. He usually wont  go down before 8. But the past 2 days he has. My question is...When do you lay your baby down for a nap? Is your baby exhausted until bedtime? Jayden has to have motion to sleep. Bounced or swung. If I stop he wakes up. Does your baby do that?

by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mama2b100808
by Mandy on Dec. 19, 2013 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't have a baby so here is a bump. At the moment I don't remember when my baby nap.

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 11:53 AM

My daughter is 16 months, so she only takes one nap per day if at all anymore. Most days she still naps but once in awhile she will skip it. When she does nap it is for at least an hour, up to 3 hours at once. When she was your son's age though, she did take lots of catnaps still and did that up until she was probably 10-12 months.

ParanormalSarah
by Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 12:00 PM

I struggle with this sometimes as there is something in me and in society that seems to think for your baby to be 'normal' they have to be on a 'normal' schedule. However, the truth is all babies are different and some don't sleep well at all - just like adults - and that is okay.  Stellan has always been a good sleeper because we co-sleep so if he does wake he just cuddles or nurses back to dream land and we all sleep right through for 11 hours a night as a family.   Sadly, our schedule is a little 'different' than most since I'm a SAHM and we operate on dad's schedule.

We tend to wake up at 10:00am and Stellan naps from 3-4:30pm and we do playing, art, dinner, bathtime, playing, reading, (whatever we can) to start cuddling around 11pm.  He usually conks out at 11:30pm nursing on me and I transfer him to our bed.  I do homework and work for a few hours and husband gets home at 1am.  We snack, catch up and go to bed with Stellan and all wake up again around 10:00am to do it over!

JaydensMama418
by Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Jayden catnaps sometimes and sometimes he can have really long naps that last a hour. If he doesnt have atleast 2 long naps, It seems like hes cranky and wants laid down more often

Quoting k9l1c5:

My daughter is 16 months, so she only takes one nap per day if at all anymore. Most days she still naps but once in awhile she will skip it. When she does nap it is for at least an hour, up to 3 hours at once. When she was your son's age though, she did take lots of catnaps still and did that up until she was probably 10-12 months.

tabby21
by Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 8:09 PM

thats ok if he wants to nap so much it means he is growing!! peanut was the same way when he was his age! now he will take one nap somtimes too....just go with the flow mama!! peanut is also 16 months

Quoting JaydensMama418:

Jayden catnaps sometimes and sometimes he can have really long naps that last a hour. If he doesnt have atleast 2 long naps, It seems like hes cranky and wants laid down more often

Quoting k9l1c5:

JaydensMama418
by Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Thats awesome that he sleeps 12 hours no matter what. Jayden use to do that. If we laid him down at 8. He'd wake up once in the middle of the night to eat and sleep till 8. If we laid him down at 11. He woke up at 11. Its not like that so much anymore. I've laid him down at 11 and he still gets up at 7AM and is cranky as ever. The latest he sleeps anymore is 7 or 8. No matter what time we lay him down. His schedules always different. Because the way his Dad works. Im a stay at home Mom also. On days my hubby works afternoon me and Jayden go and spend time with family. Morning shifts, We stay home and spend time by ourselves. He has more morning shifts then anything. Some weeks he'll have alot of mornings. Other weeks afternoons. Just depends. Like 2nite he had morning shift. We went to my Moms to help her bake for Christmas. His Dad came and got us at 2. We went to a birthday party 5-7. Then came home gave him a bath and he was asleep by 8. He'll wake up at 4-5AM to eat and have a diaper change. Then sleep till 7-730 or 8. 2morow my hubby has a afternoon shift. So he'll come pick us up at 930. Jayden will already have his bath at my Moms house. Then when we come home I put him to bed usually around 10-1030. He'll wake up to eat at 5 or 6 and be up again around 7 or 8. Hes all about 7 or 8 as morning time. No matter what time he goes to bed.

Quoting ParanormalSarah:

I struggle with this sometimes as there is something in me and in society that seems to think for your baby to be 'normal' they have to be on a 'normal' schedule. However, the truth is all babies are different and some don't sleep well at all - just like adults - and that is okay.  Stellan has always been a good sleeper because we co-sleep so if he does wake he just cuddles or nurses back to dream land and we all sleep right through for 11 hours a night as a family.   Sadly, our schedule is a little 'different' than most since I'm a SAHM and we operate on dad's schedule.

We tend to wake up at 10:00am and Stellan naps from 3-4:30pm and we do playing, art, dinner, bathtime, playing, reading, (whatever we can) to start cuddling around 11pm.  He usually conks out at 11:30pm nursing on me and I transfer him to our bed.  I do homework and work for a few hours and husband gets home at 1am.  We snack, catch up and go to bed with Stellan and all wake up again around 10:00am to do it over!

TempestRayne
by Donna on Dec. 21, 2013 at 10:02 AM

babies tend to regulate themselves. that is probably what is going on with him.

Amberlynn2010
by on Dec. 21, 2013 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this
My older son(3) naps 1 time a day if at any. My youngest 3 months naps about 4 times a day. About 1-2 hours at a time. Then is in bed for the night about 930 along with the oldest.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)