Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Do you always use a car seat for your child?

Posted by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:24 AM
  • 162 Replies
3 moms liked this

4-Year-Old Survives Awful Car Crash Thanks to 1 Simple Thing (VIDEO)

by Mary Fischer

Vallillian Burns

Getting into a car accident with our kids in the vehicle has to be one of the scariest scenarios any parent can conceive of -- which is something one man knows all too well this week.

While traveling on the highway, Xavier Robinson's car was hit from behind, which caused him to lose control -- resulting in the car flipping over four times and landing in a ditch. And all he could think about while the accident was taking place was his little cousin -- who was traveling with him that day in the back seat.

After he crawled out of the car, he immediately discovered that 4-year-old Vallillian Burns had been thrown from the vehicle. Luckily, she was alive and only had a small scratch on her cheek. And you can probably guess what Xavier credits with saving her life.

Yep ... her car seat. She was still strapped into it -- and was hanging from a fence near the ditch "like a backpack."

Check out this video clip to hear Xavier's account of the accident.

We're told over and over again that car seats save lives -- but sometimes it takes a story like this to drill the idea into our heads even more.

Let's be honest -- car seats are kind of a pain in the butt, especially in the winter months when you have to deal with taking coats on and off, etc.

And it's pretty safe to say that most parents have thought about forgoing the car seat all together and strapping their preschooler in with the seat belt instead -- if it's only for a quick drive down the street, or to pop over to a neighbor's house. After all, we didn't even have car seats as kids, and we turned out just fine ... right?

Wrong. We got lucky. And we simply can't take the safety of our kids lightly ... EVER. Strapping them into their car seat may just be a matter of life and death. Every time you even consider doing otherwise ... think about this sweet little girl and how awful the outcome of that wreck might have been had her cousin not taken the time to buckle her in.

Do you always use a car seat for your child?

by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RheaF
by Silver Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:26 AM
6 moms liked this

Yep! I would never think of letting my kids ride without it!

Snapdragon88
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:27 AM
5 moms liked this
Of course! He's 5 and a half and he's still harnessed. His car seat switches to a high back booster in just a couple of seconds, but I don't see the point when he still fits the harness and it's safer.
mama2b100808
by Mandy on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:34 AM

My girl sits in a booster seat. :)

Jaxsonsmama2009
by Silver Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:37 AM
We didn't on vacation recently. Our hotel had a shuttle that took guests to nearby attractions. We were told it was a 5 minute drive max. I didn't know what we would do with car seats after they dropped us off so we went without them. Turned out it was actually a freaking 20 minute drive. I was nervous the entire time. If I had known that we would have driven ourselves and just dealt with parking.
JRSMOM0621
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Yes I do. He is much too small to be in the actual seat. I am guilty of not taking his coat off when I put him in the carseat. It is cold outside and the car is the same temp so he will be cold just as he would outside. In March I will have another and carseats are a must for me and my family!! :) We check the dates every year and make sure they are fitted to him before we ever leave the parking space.

Mommy to one angel, 1 crazy toddler and 1 on the way!!
erin708
by Silver Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 12:43 PM
I always do. When we went to disney I was a nervous wreck about the busses.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Dec. 26, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Absolutely!

I'm so glad the little girl is ok and I'm sure her parents are glad they her in a car seat.
KMadsen
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Duh! 

jessica4212011
by Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes. They are a pain in the ass but they r necessary and do serve a purpose, save lives. My kids will be in a car or booster seat till they meet the requirements in height n weight without one.

Ashtenn-428
by Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 11:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Absolutely. No questions asked. No exceptions.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)