Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

I'm pregnant and still breastfeeding

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 5:39 AM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this
I just recently found out I am pregnant and I have a 16 month old who still breast feeds. I don't want to stop breastfeeding but I don't want to breast feed 2 kids. Should I wean now or alittle later in
My pregnancy.
by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 5:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Serabeth06
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 7:36 AM

I would say that's a comfort thing for you and your babies. The hormones involved in breastfeeding cause uterine contractions, and some say this becomes incredibly uncomfortable. Some also say that the taste and consistency of your breastmilk is going to change through your pregnancy, to prepare for feeding a newborn as opposed to a 16 month old. (Their nutritional needs are different.) I would say that if you're planning to wean, you start now, and make it a sloooooow process. Slow weaning always worked best for me, as you can add back/drop more feedings as suits you and your child, without feeling rushed. You can account for times when baby is sick and needs extra cuddles or has a growth spurt and needs some independence. Either way, just listen to your body and your babies. Best of luck, and congrats on the new addition.

jupiter5
by Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 7:47 AM
That's awesome! Mine didn't want my milk anymore when I got pregnant :( It tasted different.... (Yes I tried it it wasn't sweet anymore, yuck)
danigirlglow
by on Dec. 27, 2013 at 7:56 AM
Its whatever you want, though you can easily breastfeed more than one and can nurse through a whole pregnancy.
mama2b100808
by Mandy on Dec. 27, 2013 at 8:02 AM

Wish I could help. I just say do what is best for you. :)

yellow14
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 10:03 AM
I think I am going to wean, I'm going miss breast feeding,but my son still nurses at night as that has to stop before the 2nd baby comes. It's going to be emotional because I love that bond between my son. Any tips on weaning I am not sure how to wean? My son will literally pull down my shirt and nurse.
yellow14
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 10:04 AM
It changes taste? Wow hopefully he won't like it

Quoting jupiter5: That's awesome! Mine didn't want my milk anymore when I got pregnant :( It tasted different.... (Yes I tried it it wasn't sweet anymore, yuck)
yellow14
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Update! I did some research and I am going to be doing Tandem Nursing which is breastfeeding a newborn and toddler at the same time, It helps them not too be so jealous and to have a wonderful bond with mommy. I am excited to experience tandem nursing and although i bet it will be challenging i will do my best, wish me luck!

KMadsen
by Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 8:15 PM

It is perfectly safe to nurse throughout pregnancy unless you are high risk or develop complications. I'm nursing my 27 month old and am 13 weeks pregnant. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)