Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Inducing labor

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 2:07 PM
  • 29 Replies

What did you try that actually worked? 

by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 2:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Serabeth06
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 2:15 PM

I can tell you what we tried that -didn't- work. Walking, didn't work. Stripping my membranes, (OUCH) didn't work, I never understood spicy foods, because I ate that all pregnancy long, no problem. When it came down to labor induction, we just had to do it the medical way, with Pitocin. :/

xcrystal88
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 2:22 PM

castor oil.. did it twice, worked the second time.. i wouldnt recommend it to anyone tho, it was awful!

stephaniexo
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Walking is just exhausting hasn't helped at all lol and same here I've been eating spicy foods all along. I'm 40 weeks 4cm and 80% effaced ready to get things movin lol

Quoting Serabeth06:

I can tell you what we tried that -didn't- work. Walking, didn't work. Stripping my membranes, (OUCH) didn't work, I never understood spicy foods, because I ate that all pregnancy long, no problem. When it came down to labor induction, we just had to do it the medical way, with Pitocin. :/

stephaniexo
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I was thinking about trying it.. Some say it could be dangerous but some say the same about sex so I wasn't sure

Quoting xcrystal88:

castor oil.. did it twice, worked the second time.. i wouldnt recommend it to anyone tho, it was awful!

Serabeth06
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 2:34 PM

My friend said she did nipple stimulation to get things moving, but she was already having contractions, and just did it to get things more on track. Did it at specific time intervals until things picked up on their own, and even then, she ended up having a really long labor, so I don't know how much good she did. :/ Never tried that, but we did have sex all the way up to the end, to no avail, as I always ended up with pitocin. Just hang in there mama!

Quoting stephaniexo:

Walking is just exhausting hasn't helped at all lol and same here I've been eating spicy foods all along. I'm 40 weeks 4cm and 80% effaced ready to get things movin lol

Quoting Serabeth06:

mama2b100808
by Mandy on Dec. 31, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Nothing because I never went into labor. My daughter's birth was schedule c-section.

Serabeth06
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Castor oil: Stein sometimes recommends taking a small amount of castor oil after the 38th week. "There's no direct action on the uterus. It's indirect via stimulation of the bowels, which lean on the uterus. This only seems to work when the body is ready to go into labor." But Harper says there's "no good evidence" for inducing labor with castor oil. "Castor oil brings on horrific diarrhea. I don't recommend it, because you could get moms dehydrated."

It's a laxative. o_O Ancient Egyptians apparantly used it, but I don't know about welcoming your bundle of joy with "horrific diarrhea". lol

Quoting stephaniexo:

I was thinking about trying it.. Some say it could be dangerous but some say the same about sex so I wasn't sure

Quoting xcrystal88:

rdp90
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I tried walking, sex, red raspberry leaf tea (to soften cervix), a little bit of pineapple. 

None of them really worked, the tea got some braxton hicks going but that's it. I didn't eat enough pineapple for it to be effective. I'm 40 weeks tomorrow, still 1 cm dilated and now finally 75 percent effaced. Still no labor lol. I go in Friday to break my water and probably start pitocin. =/

Didn't want to do the nipple stimulation b/c I read it can put the baby in distress.

mrsniebo
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Nothing! Both kids ended up being induced due to low fluid 6 and 9 days past my due dates, respectively. At least with my second, I wasn't induced with pitocin. I had back labor with both labors, but the pitocin induced labor was so much worse!

stephaniexo
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I didn't try raspberry leaf tea or pineapple. Sex has given me Braxton hicks but always stops after 2-3 hours. Is breaking your water the same as stripping membranes? Or is stripping them just giving a head start on the water breaking itself 

Quoting rdp90:

I tried walking, sex, red raspberry leaf tea (to soften cervix), a little bit of pineapple. 

None of them really worked, the tea got some braxton hicks going but that's it. I didn't eat enough pineapple for it to be effective. I'm 40 weeks tomorrow, still 1 cm dilated and now finally 75 percent effaced. Still no labor lol. I go in Friday to break my water and probably start pitocin. =/

Didn't want to do the nipple stimulation b/c I read it can put the baby in distress.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)