Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Do you use screen time to get a little peace sometimes?

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 8:15 AM
  • 4 Replies

Single Moms Should Use TV & iPads as Babysitters Even If It's Bad for the Kids

by Jenny Erikson 

Sometimes I have no idea how I’d manage without the proverbial “electronic babysitters” known as the TV, the iPhone, the computer, and the tablet. Actually I don’t have a tablet, but I do have a 4-year-old iTouch and that’s basically the same, right?

Anyway, there are times when I just need to keep the kids out of my hair. As a single mom, I don’t have anyone to hand them off to for a few minutes of “sanity time” at the end of the day. When they’re with me, it’s just them and me, and if I need to get something done, it’s so easy to sit them down and tell them they can watch a show if they agree on it.

They like it, because this usually translates to one show each, as they’re five years apart and are generally into different genres. That’s 44 minutes in which I can get dinner together, finish up some work, make phone calls, or even just catch my breath.

But here’s the downside I seem to always forget about when I have the brilliant idea to break out the electronic entertainment -- they turn into screen zombies.

Remember that part about not having a partner at the end of the day to pitch in with the parenting? Yeah, that means I get the TV tantrums all to myself too.

Every single time, I promise myself that I won’t ever do that again, or at least I’ll hold out longer next time before caving. But then I’m back at square one eventually. Because that beautiful glow is such a treat for them, they sit mesmerized -- and quietly.

Sometimes a single mom just needs a moment of peace, even if Strawberry Shortcake is on in the background.

And let’s face it -- it’s easier to deal with the post-screen time meltdowns than to stay trapped in a destructive marriage.

Do you use screen time to get a little peace sometimes?

by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 8:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mama2b100808
by Mandy on Jan. 2, 2014 at 8:17 AM

no I usually tell my daughter to go play with her toys. She isn't big on tv unless she sees something on it she will want to watch at that moment.

RUMyMummy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 11:25 AM
Yes. Not so much tv, but i let ds use his LeapPad in his room if I'm on sensory overload.I feel slightly better about it since it's all educational. I also figure that a little screen time isn't going to boil his brain.
PeaceMuch
by Kali on Jan. 2, 2014 at 11:29 AM
Yes.
Lovemyangels88
by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 11:45 AM
I am guilty of doing this. Being a single mom of two, it gets very overwhelming sometimes and a little bit of quiet time while they watch a little tv is def needed. They did just get some educational toys like the leap frog so I'm trying to incorporate that more instead of the tv.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)