Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Alright, let's talk meal planning...

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 2:55 PM
  • 37 Replies

Does anyone meal plan? When do you plan your meals and for how long of a stretch? Share your menu with me!

I used to meal plan religiously, but life got in the way and I just got too busy to keep up with it a few months ago. But have been wanting to start it back up again and am stuck on what things I want to make. Normally I would just plan dinner on my old meal plans and wing breakfast and lunch, but I think I am going to plan all 3 meals from now on :).  

by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Serabeth06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 3:10 PM
1 mom liked this

We mostly wing breakfast, I plan lunches and dinners. I shop week to week, so I plan for the following week, grocery shop every Monday morning after dropping my DD off at school. Our meal plans vary by week and month, for example, this week we had Spaghetti, homemade burgers and homefries, barbeque chicken and rice, smoked sausage and potato casserole, and meatloaf. I print out recipe ideas off the internet and kind'f throw a menu together over the weekend.

roseblossom90
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 4:07 PM

I definitely need to meal plan. I haven't been married that long and never cooked before I was married so I don't really know how to cook a lot of different meals. We usually end up buying food for one or two meals then I am struggling to figure out what to cook for the rest of the week.

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 4:09 PM

I get a lot of my recipes off of pinterest and online too. Df gets paid biweekly so normally I had planned my menu for 2 weeks, but had to shop weekly for some things like produce. So excited to get back into this! 

Quoting Serabeth06:

We mostly wing breakfast, I plan lunches and dinners. I shop week to week, so I plan for the following week, grocery shop every Monday morning after dropping my DD off at school. Our meal plans vary by week and month, for example, this week we had Spaghetti, homemade burgers and homefries, barbeque chicken and rice, smoked sausage and potato casserole, and meatloaf. I print out recipe ideas off the internet and kind'f throw a menu together over the weekend.

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 4:12 PM

I just really started getting into cooking the last couple of years... probably about 6 months before I had dd. I think it is fun! And meal planning definitely helps with not knowing what to cook... it is all right there and you don't even have to think about it. I put my meal plan on the fridge and then some nights if I don't feel like making something I will switch it around, but for the most part I stick to it. 

Quoting roseblossom90:

I definitely need to meal plan. I haven't been married that long and never cooked before I was married so I don't really know how to cook a lot of different meals. We usually end up buying food for one or two meals then I am struggling to figure out what to cook for the rest of the week.

Serabeth06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Ooh, I didn't think about pinterest for recipes. I just made a pinterest for Christmas ornaments to make with the kids, haven't gotten into it yet. That's a good idea. (: I used to try to shop monthly, but that didn't work for me, because things would spoil, or we'd have leftovers and we'd get off menu. SO gets paid weekly, so it works out well for us. His check is deposited Friday, clears Saturday, I go shopping Monday. So now, I make two lists. One is of what we're having for the week, usually based on what's in my cabinets/fridge already that I can turn into something else. For example, if I have too much spaghetti noodle left over, I'll buy shrimp, alfredo sauce, and diced tomatoes to make shrimp alfredo with it. That way nothing sits in the cabinets forever, but we're not eating the same things over and over again.

Quoting k9l1c5:

I get a lot of my recipes off of pinterest and online too. Df gets paid biweekly so normally I had planned my menu for 2 weeks, but had to shop weekly for some things like produce. So excited to get back into this! 

Quoting Serabeth06:

roseblossom90
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Dh and I were just talking this morning about starting meal planning and shopping according to recipes instead of just going in the store and buying random things. It would also help considering a lot of the things I can cook DH doesn't like. The place I have been getting a lot of my new recipes is allrecipes.com. Do you get recipes offline and if so, where?

Quoting k9l1c5:

I just really started getting into cooking the last couple of years... probably about 6 months before I had dd. I think it is fun! And meal planning definitely helps with not knowing what to cook... it is all right there and you don't even have to think about it. I put my meal plan on the fridge and then some nights if I don't feel like making something I will switch it around, but for the most part I stick to it. 

Quoting roseblossom90:

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 4:19 PM

I loveee pinterest for recipes. I have found so many yummy things on there that I would have never thought to make otherwise! It helps keep your menu from getting boring. I make an inventory list too of the things that we already have so I know what I don't need to buy and what meals I can make that will be cheaper since we already have most of the ingredients. I lovee alfredo, but my sister and I are the only ones in our family who like it so I never get to make it for dinner :/. 

Quoting Serabeth06:

Ooh, I didn't think about pinterest for recipes. I just made a pinterest for Christmas ornaments to make with the kids, haven't gotten into it yet. That's a good idea. (: I used to try to shop monthly, but that didn't work for me, because things would spoil, or we'd have leftovers and we'd get off menu. SO gets paid weekly, so it works out well for us. His check is deposited Friday, clears Saturday, I go shopping Monday. So now, I make two lists. One is of what we're having for the week, usually based on what's in my cabinets/fridge already that I can turn into something else. For example, if I have too much spaghetti noodle left over, I'll buy shrimp, alfredo sauce, and diced tomatoes to make shrimp alfredo with it. That way nothing sits in the cabinets forever, but we're not eating the same things over and over again.

Quoting k9l1c5:

Quoting Serabeth06:

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 4:21 PM

I like allrecipes! When looking for recipes I either look on pinterest or just google it and go through them to see which ones sound the best based on the ingredients. Pinterest is my favorite for recipes though. There are so many things I have found on there that I thought were hard to make but really aren't or just things I would have never thought to make on my own.

Quoting roseblossom90:

Dh and I were just talking this morning about starting meal planning and shopping according to recipes instead of just going in the store and buying random things. It would also help considering a lot of the things I can cook DH doesn't like. The place I have been getting a lot of my new recipes is allrecipes.com. Do you get recipes offline and if so, where?

Quoting k9l1c5:

Quoting roseblossom90:

Serabeth06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 4:23 PM

I'm definitely going to check it out. I've also been looking at company websites for recipes, but I find that most of the recipes call for "specific brand" ingredients and I do a lot of substituting, 'cause come on, I'm not paying $7 for cheese when $4 will work just fine. We're the same way with spinach. I lovelovelove spinach, but nobody else will eat it, so I have to do without.

Quoting k9l1c5:

I loveee pinterest for recipes. I have found so many yummy things on there that I would have never thought to make otherwise! It helps keep your menu from getting boring. I make an inventory list too of the things that we already have so I know what I don't need to buy and what meals I can make that will be cheaper since we already have most of the ingredients. I lovee alfredo, but my sister and I are the only ones in our family who like it so I never get to make it for dinner :/. 

Quoting Serabeth06:

Quoting k9l1c5:

Quoting Serabeth06:

k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Oh yes, I do the same thing when it is a recipe from a certain company. You know they only want to showcase their products, but I am not paying all that for brand name things. We usually shop store brand unless I have a coupon that makes it cheaper than the store brand. We belong to Sam's too and can get some things cheaper there in bulk... like a big bottle of Tide for $25 usually lasts like 2 months or more depending on how much laundry we have to do. And I buy the big blocks of cream cheese from there when I need it and cut it up myself into 8 oz pieces instead of buying them at the grocery store. 

Quoting Serabeth06:

I'm definitely going to check it out. I've also been looking at company websites for recipes, but I find that most of the recipes call for "specific brand" ingredients and I do a lot of substituting, 'cause come on, I'm not paying $7 for cheese when $4 will work just fine. We're the same way with spinach. I lovelovelove spinach, but nobody else will eat it, so I have to do without.

Quoting k9l1c5:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)