Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Tax bulls•••! Seriously, you should not be able to get more back than you put in!

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 12:11 PM
  • 20 Replies
1 mom liked this

Alright.... I'm not a political person... I don't get into political debates, but taxes are one of those things that brings out the worst in me every year.  I'm probably going to piss somebody off with what I'm about to say and I'm sorry for that....
I've been working on our taxes (I pretty much start working on them as soon as the new year rolls around, like to have them done and filed as soon as I possibly can).  So far the only W2s we've gotten are mine.  I don't make a whole lot as I only work part time.  So I enter my wages for the year and my withholdings.  I paid in roughly $1100 this year.  Not very much, but again, I don't make very much.  So at this point, if we only had my income we would be getting back $3190.  WTF?!  Why?  That's almost triple what I paid in?  When I add DH's income in, who by the way paid over $11K in federal withholdings alone, we MIGHT bring our total tax refund up to $6000 IF we are lucky and can scrounge up some extra deductions.  I understand we are in a higher tax bracket but I have just never understood how if we were to make very little we could get more than double what we paid in, yet if we make a decent wage we are lucky to get half?  I am a firm believer in "you shouldn't be able to get back more than you paid in" and feel that while credit and deductions should help you get back the FULL amount you paid in if possible, that you shouldn't be able to get more.  agh!  How is it fair that we work our asses off and get a fraction of what we paid in back while Joe Blow down the street sits on his ass all day and gets the rest of my refund because he didn't make as much money as I did?  I don't even understand how it works anyways, even when we made less than $15k a year between the two of us and had a child we still didn't get back more than we paid in....

by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 12:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JG86
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 3:05 PM
I agree completely. We pay SO much in taxes and hardly get anything back.
MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Jan. 21, 2014 at 4:59 PM
2 moms liked this
It's absolutely ridiculous, especially if you consider that those in the lowest income bracket often qualify for and receive government assistance (essentially free money) in the form of Medicaid, food stamps, WIC, and child care assistance.

I have no problem with those who need help to get it, honestly. But I do not think anyone on earth (yes, this includes big corporations) to receive more in a refund than they paid in taxes.
ambermarie2006
by Amber on Jan. 21, 2014 at 8:18 PM
2 moms liked this
100% agree. I get to hear my sister brag year after year about her $10k refund when they pay out about $4k.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy020608
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 8:36 PM
The reasoning behind earned income credit (what inflates refunds) beyond what you paid in, is to lift people out of poverty, push them over the poverty line. Good idea, bad execution, like so many "social handouts". People who qualify often look at as hitting the jackpot and blow it, instead of stewarding it to ease their burden the rest of the year.,
Courtney610
by Courtney on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:41 PM

I babysit part time on the side.  I don't have to income wise, but I help out friends.  I have to pay in almost as much as I make on the babysitting money.  :( 

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Agreed

Quoting JG86: I agree completely. We pay SO much in taxes and hardly get anything back.

MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I absolutely agree.

If anyone had sense, why not put all that money into savings to pay for FOOD, Christmas presents, school supplies, and other NEEDS instead of relying on PA and the goodness of others to provide for themselves?

Quoting mommy020608: The reasoning behind earned income credit (what inflates refunds) beyond what you paid in, is to lift people out of poverty, push them over the poverty line. Good idea, bad execution, like so many "social handouts". People who qualify often look at as hitting the jackpot and blow it, instead of stewarding it to ease their burden the rest of the year.,
AmyParent
by Amy on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:54 PM
We got a larger refund than we expected and exactly what you all upset about (which I understand). We have alloyed all out tax refund money to go to saving to buy a house and break our current endless cycle.

I make 25k a year at a job I've been at 7 years. The only raise I recieved was with a promotion I got and then within 6 months had my salary cut. DH recieves non taxable income (GI benefits) so while we don't receive any assistance we just barely make it by for now. DH is using his GI benefits to go to school and we are saving our tax defund to buy a home after he graduates and lands a full time job.

Quoting MamaPeanut: I absolutely agree.

If anyone had sense, why not put all that money into savings to pay for FOOD, Christmas presents, school supplies, and other NEEDS instead of relying on PA and the goodness of others to provide for themselves?

Quoting mommy020608: The reasoning behind earned income credit (what inflates refunds) beyond what you paid in, is to lift people out of poverty, push them over the poverty line. Good idea, bad execution, like so many "social handouts". People who qualify often look at as hitting the jackpot and blow it, instead of stewarding it to ease their burden the rest of the year.,
coupon_ash_back
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 4:25 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't think too much about it. It's not like people are asking for this money, if it's there for them then it's there.
coupon_ash_back
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 4:28 AM
1 mom liked this
I also don't understand why everyone needs to be the tax refund police, if someone wants to be smart and save it or use it for living costs, fine.If they want to be careless with it,fine. It doesn't concern me either way. The IRS gave them the money, so that's that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)