Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Starting to turn racist as you get older.....

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 12:11 PM
  • 13 Replies

I am slowly seeing a racist side to my grandma. If I ask her who she is talking about she says "oh you know that black/asian/mexican/white person ______________" Just the other day I called her which is our daily thing and I asked her in general who she was talking to. She gave me a name I dont recoginze and she said "hes black" uhh okay and that tells me what?

Is anyone else seeing/saw this in their older family members?

Mommy to one angel, 1 crazy toddler and 1 on the way!!
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 12:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
roseblossom90
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Why do you think that is racism? Just sounds descriptive to me like if she had said that brown headed girl/guy. It would be different if she were using offensive names, but just saying black, white, etc doesn't sound racist.

JRSMOM0621
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Maybe my mind set is off on this one. It could very well be. I just dont understand I guess why the need to put someones color of their skin as descriptive unless she is actually describing that person to me. Instead she will that person with ________ skin is crossing the wrong way or something like that. I guess I just dont get what the color of their skin has to do with it

Quoting roseblossom90:

Why do you think that is racism? Just sounds descriptive to me like if she had said that brown headed girl/guy. It would be different if she were using offensive names, but just saying black, white, etc doesn't sound racist.

roseblossom90
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 1:22 PM

It still just sounds like a way of describing. Kinda the same as if you would say "that green Subaru just ran a stop sign". It might be the only subaru around, yet you still add the green part into it.

Quoting JRSMOM0621:

Maybe my mind set is off on this one. It could very well be. I just dont understand I guess why the need to put someones color of their skin as descriptive unless she is actually describing that person to me. Instead she will that person with ________ skin is crossing the wrong way or something like that. I guess I just dont get what the color of their skin has to do with it

Quoting roseblossom90:

JRSMOM0621
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 1:25 PM

hmm good point. I dont know why I over think things :/ lol maybe because others do and I try not to piss a random stranger off by saying something.

Quoting roseblossom90:

It still just sounds like a way of describing. Kinda the same as if you would say "that green Subaru just ran a stop sign". It might be the only subaru around, yet you still add the green part into it.

Quoting JRSMOM0621:

Quoting roseblossom90:

roseblossom90
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Eh, it happens. I overthink things all the time. :)

Quoting JRSMOM0621:

hmm good point. I dont know why I over think things :/ lol maybe because others do and I try not to piss a random stranger off by saying something.

Quoting roseblossom90:

Quoting JRSMOM0621:

Quoting roseblossom90:

JRSMOM0621
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 1:30 PM

:)

Quoting roseblossom90:

Eh, it happens. I overthink things all the time. :)

Quoting JRSMOM0621:

Quoting roseblossom90:

Quoting JRSMOM0621:

Quoting roseblossom90:

esox
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 1:30 PM

My grandmother was the same way. I don't believe she ever got the memo that using the word 'nigger' was a no no. Although she used that word for so many different purposes. For her, I think it was just a descriptive word to describe people and things in general. Still would shock the heck out of anyone that heard the word come out of her mouth. 

JRSMOM0621
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Ugh she dropped that the other day...although she called her dog that lol

Quoting esox:

My grandmother was the same way. I don't believe she ever got the memo that using the word 'nigger' was a no no. Although she used that word for so many different purposes. For her, I think it was just a descriptive word to describe people and things in general. Still would shock the heck out of anyone that heard the word come out of her mouth. 

C.H.E.L.S.E.A
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Nope. I just think that sometimes older people say things that aren't politically corrent anymore, yet it was just the way people used to say things years ago.

PeaceMuch
by Kali on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:23 PM
I don't see that a racist.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)