Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

night time feeder...

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 11:53 PM
  • 18 Replies

so my DS is almost 10 mths old and he was sleeping through the night but for the past month he's been waking up about every two hours to eat. when i took him for his 9 mth checkup the dr said i really have to work on getting him out of the habit of night time feedings because his weight...he's 28.6 lbs. she said it's not healthy for him to do that. she gave me a paper with tips on how to ween him off night time feedings in about two weeks time and she mentioned that if it hasn't been at least 4 hrs in between a feeding to give him water since the bottle is a comfort thing. idk why but i have anxiety about this...i did it for the first time tonight but it's still worrying me! has anyone else had to do this? any advice?

by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 11:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommymix0820
by Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 12:48 AM

BUMP!

MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Feb. 1, 2014 at 4:01 PM
I've never minded feeding a child when they are genuinely hungry, but it's easy to fall into a trap of misunderstanding the need for comfort instead of food.
Almost 30 pounds at 9 months is HUGE, and I'd be just as worried as the Dr. That sets up the child for a lifetime of emotional eating and weight problems.
yellow14
by Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 4:38 PM
My son is 17 months and weighs 28lbs, your child's weight is concerning.
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Feb. 2, 2014 at 10:02 AM

I do have to agree with your Doctor almost 30 lbs at his age is alarming. I'd try her technique. Baby's are pretty flexible and after a few hard nights, you'll find everything will work itself out. Good luck!

sara.6166
by Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this
Try pacifier.. hope it can help you.
MrsErdos2011
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 10:46 AM
I agree with everyone else. My son is 2½ and weighs 30 lbs. How much are you feeding him at night?
ambermarie2006
by Amber on Feb. 2, 2014 at 10:56 AM
2 moms liked this
Well my EBF baby is 6 months old and 27lbs....Lol babies come in all sizes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommymix0820
by Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 1:22 PM

actually he's not that huge for his height...she just doesn't like that he's still waking up during the night to eat. after one night of doing wat she suggested he's going to bed at 8, waking at 12 for bottle, then sleeping until 7:30-8 which is exactly how she wanted him to do :)

Quoting MamaPeanut: I've never minded feeding a child when they are genuinely hungry, but it's easy to fall into a trap of misunderstanding the need for comfort instead of food.
Almost 30 pounds at 9 months is HUGE, and I'd be just as worried as the Dr. That sets up the child for a lifetime of emotional eating and weight problems.

mommymix0820
by Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 1:26 PM

actually for his height and everything he's not that huge...he's off the charts but she said he's proportionate and he'll just be our little football player lol

Quoting yellow14: My son is 17 months and weighs 28lbs, your child's weight is concerning.

mommymix0820
by Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

it has he's doing a lot better already :) thank u

Quoting MamaBear2cubs:

I do have to agree with your Doctor almost 30 lbs at his age is alarming. I'd try her technique. Baby's are pretty flexible and after a few hard nights, you'll find everything will work itself out. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)