Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Are you 100% dependent on your SO?

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 4:20 PM
  • 77 Replies
3 moms liked this

I've been married a long time and we both work so if something happened to my husband I'd be emotionally devastated but otherwise okay. My aunt, however, is in a different situation entirely. She's never worked, never had to, and has no real skills. My uncle earns all the money, pays all the bills, does all the shopping, handles all the maintenance on the house and his car, does all the driving, takes care of appointments for doctors and other things, etc. She literally only does the cooking, cleaning, and in the past, caring for their four children. Those children are scattered to the four corners of the earth now and three are in no position to help her when my uncle goes. Well, my aunt said it's not a problem but my uncle just admitted to my dad that he's underinsured and now sick with pancreatic cancer which will likely kill him (his official prognosis is NOT good at all). So my aunt's screwed when he goes.

Are YOU 100% dependent on your SO?

by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 4:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheMommaJessie
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 4:30 PM

he watches the kids 4 me to drive to in town appointments (when it isn't icy), he works (i never had to), he takes me to out of town appointments, does maintaince on his truck his car and my suburban, we split bills if i have the check book handy when a bill comes in i will pay it, i do shopping as well as hubby,

dixiegurl223626
by Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope, I'm not dependant on him at all. I'm the breadwinner of the family and he's in college. If something happens to me, I have several life insurance plans so he and our kids will be ok.

MrsApple
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 4:32 PM

My husband may earn the money but we have made sure that I will be fine,financially,if something happens to him.Plus,I do the shopping,making sure the bills are payed,my name is on all accounts,handle appts,ect. so I won't be in the dark about that stuff.

maryhen
by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Just a little bit financially but the kids would be able to do it without him. My peeps take care of most of it. I take care of the rest.

Tooth_Inspector
by Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Hes a sahd and I work so financially I would be okay but I wouldn't be okay okay, if you know what I mean? I also wouldn't have any childcare and he keeps me alive with his cooking :( I couldn't imagine losing him!

bamamommy2009
by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 4:49 PM

As much as my husband would like to think that I am 100% relying on him, I was supporting my daughter and I before he and I married. It isn't easy or fun but I know whatever has to be done I can do it. He just doesn't want me to go to a lower standard to what we are now accustom to{ example- she and I lived in a lower income town,had minimum wage job, supporting her and I. Now we live in a big city, three kids, I am higher than minimum wage, and he is about 3x amount that-so yes we live comfortably.} If he passed away like I said I know what I have to do to take care of my babies.

littlecheifsmom
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 4:51 PM
Currently yes as I just lost my job. We would be really screwed if something were to happen to him at the moment.
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Feb. 10, 2014 at 4:53 PM

What a tough situation, my Grandma was like that when my Grandpa passed. I am currently a SAHM but if things go south I do have a Nursing career to fall back on. He left once in the past for 2 months and we did just fine, so I feel confident in myself to do it again if need be.

StreetsAhead
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Money wise, not depent on him at all. 

We would both be okay if the other one went 

TempestRayne
by on Feb. 10, 2014 at 5:37 PM
Not really. Just mostly.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN