Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Would you hire a guy babysitter?

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 12:32 AM
  • 167 Replies
I'm just curious to see how other moms feel about this. I know some moms I've talked to are adamantly opposed to this idea, having a guy babysit, but I have known some really awesome guys in our church for example who treat kids better than some of the most highly recommended female babysitters in town. My mom hired a male babysitter once despite feeling trepidatious about the stereotype, and he was the best babysitter I ever remember having. He had more energy, he played with us the whole time instead of just watching us or worrying about keeping the house clean for appearance's sake. I know the stats about guys being more likely to abuse kids than girls, but there are a few I know who I would trust with my own life and would be awesome with my kids, and certainly do better than the girl who let my 2yo fall down the stairs because she was too busy texting her friends!! (Suffice it to say she never came back...)

So would you hire a male babysitter? Would it depend on the gender of kids or ages? Do you think stereotyping babysitters based on genders is fair?

Eta: just to clarify, I would of course have to know the person exceptionally well regardless. The guys I know at my church are ones who we have known for years and been around tons, and they have been around my kids tons. We rarely leave our kids with anyone but grandparents anyway, but because I teach piano out of my home I do hire babysitters a few times a week to ensure my kids needs are met while I can't tend to them. Both my husband and I are home during the whole time (he works at home too but his job requires him to be in a locked office as it is for a bank) and they are in my line of sight or within earshot pretty much the whole time anyway, but we have two girls who come and work together and have been sitting for us for over a year. Great kids :) I do know of a few males I would trust with my kids, but again - not talking about "some guy" from somewhere random. :)
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 12:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 12:38 AM
3 moms liked this

Yes I would.   I know more females who would hurt children than males.  If i knew the guy well enough and dd trusted him, that is good enough for me.  She has gone through a phase where she did not like males at all, not even her brother or dad.

Mommy4-27-08
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 12:39 AM
2 moms liked this
I had a male baby sitter who was awesome and my kids have a male babysitter now, sort of. He's my sister's bf and I have known him since he was little. I try not to judge on gender and gender really has nothing to do with whether or not they watch my kids. It really comes down to trust and whether or not I think they are trustworthy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PeaceMuch
by Kali on Feb. 11, 2014 at 12:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes
leanntx
by on Feb. 11, 2014 at 12:41 AM
2 moms liked this
I think a good babysitter is a good babysitter regardless of sex. The main problem is that most males don't babysit, it's just more of a female thing.
StreetsAhead
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 2:29 AM
Yes
mama2b100808
by Mandy on Feb. 11, 2014 at 7:38 AM
1 mom liked this

no I would not hire a guy babysitter unless he was gay. I have issues with male babysitters. Bad history with them. 

Paigesmommy78
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2014 at 7:41 AM
Sure would as long as I know him very well shot DD Uncle watches her all the time
Courtney610
by Courtney on Feb. 11, 2014 at 7:49 AM
My husband's best friend has babysat for us before. No big deal.
cupcake_mom
by KT on Feb. 11, 2014 at 7:49 AM
I would as long as they are out of diapers. I'm really funny about males changing my dds, even their dad. Their dad did change diapers but it still made me uncomfortable because of things that happen to me when i was a kid (by my cousin)
Our roommate has watched my kids many many times for us and he is great with them!
I would also have to know the sitter, male or female.
cupcake_mom
by KT on Feb. 11, 2014 at 7:52 AM
Do you have to know a female babysitter very well?

Quoting Paigesmommy78: Sure would as long as I know him very well shot DD Uncle watches her all the time
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN