Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Taking an infant on a plane questions

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 9:53 AM
  • 6 Replies
My nephew was just born and I'm flying out Friday to see him. I haven't flown in ten years and never with a baby. Does anyone know the rules about baby food? Where do you change a diaper (no changing table on our plane)? Can you bring formula/ baby food/pouches/etc? Any other tips/things I should know?

It'll be a total of 9 hrs of flying (and a 90 min layover)
Thank you!

Edit: thank you all for your help. Unfortunately, due to severe weather, we won't be able to make the trip. They won't even fly between Charlotte and Lynchburg at this point.
by on Feb. 12, 2014 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
lightning918
by Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 10:14 AM

You can bring the powder formula, but not water. You'll have to buy bottled water when you get past security. I'm not sure about the baby food. My dd was 16 months when I flew with her so she had sandwich crackers and other snacks like that. Most planes actually have a tiny changing table in the bathroom. It just folds up into the wall. I highly suggest baby having their own seat. You can bring a car seat on the plane with you. Bring lots of stuff to entertain baby and be prepared for baby to be fussy due to the pressure changes.  You can call your airline or the airport and ask any questions. Here's a link to the TSA website about traveling with children: http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/traveling-children I can't make it clicky for you, but it explains how to pack the baby food. Jars must be 3.4 oz or less and must be in a 1 quart ziplock bag (you CANNOT have multiple ziplock bags) only one ziplock bag per passenger.

lovelyladybump
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 10:18 AM
How old is your baby?

I took my son with me on a 4 hour flight. He was 2 months old. I was breastfeeding at the time, but I pumped as to not make it awkward for the person next to me. I cant remember what the allowed amount of liquid was. You might want to check on the website of the company you're flying with. Rules with food and liquids vary depending on who you're flying with.
Mine slept most of the flight. When he was up, I walked up and down the aisles to keep him quiet. The flight attendants were really helpful. They held him so I could use the washroom. They also helped me find a spot to change his bum.
nikki4eva88
by Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 10:25 AM

While your link to TSA is correct, there should be an area where they let you know that you can bring whatever is necessary for your baby...including water and baby food not contained in a ziplock bag.

Quoting lightning918:

You can bring the powder formula, but not water. You'll have to buy bottled water when you get past security. I'm not sure about the baby food. My dd was 16 months when I flew with her so she had sandwich crackers and other snacks like that. Most planes actually have a tiny changing table in the bathroom. It just folds up into the wall. I highly suggest baby having their own seat. You can bring a car seat on the plane with you. Bring lots of stuff to entertain baby and be prepared for baby to be fussy due to the pressure changes.  You can call your airline or the airport and ask any questions. Here's a link to the TSA website about traveling with children: http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/traveling-children I can't make it clicky for you, but it explains how to pack the baby food. Jars must be 3.4 oz or less and must be in a 1 quart ziplock bag (you CANNOT have multiple ziplock bags) only one ziplock bag per passenger.

lesismommy
by New Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 10:40 AM

I was able to bing a lot of water even when my kids got older.  Bring asmuch food as you want.  Snacks are a good distraction.  I also went to the dollar section at Target and got some new/cheap toys.  New things are fun plus since they are cheap, I didn't worry if one got lost.  As for diaper changing, I made sure I got an aisle seat so I could put the pad on the eat and change baby there.  A bottle or pacier will help with the altitude changes, and a small dose of pain reliever (Tylanol or ibprouphin) ahead of time will help too.

Don't be afraid to act silly in public, sing songs, make faces, play games ect.  I have found that other passangers really don't mind the sound of a happy child.  And as long as you are actively trying to keep your child calm, most people are undrstaning. 

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Feb. 12, 2014 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm no help but congrats on your new nephew!

Serabeth06
by Member on Feb. 12, 2014 at 11:34 AM

The airline website has a list of all the things you can bring/can't bring. I'm pretty sure any food items have to be brand new and unopened, which means that during your 90 minute layover, they recheck you and you have to throw out anything opened.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)