Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Epidurals

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:27 AM
  • 21 Replies

I have heard some things about these like causing autism??? Has anybody had this happen to them? Also heard it can make your labor longer? 

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KEL101212
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:25 AM
I don't know anyone who had a child that autistic because they had an epidural...As far as a longer labor, i don't know about that...i was given pitocin at 7:00pm to induce labor...i was given an epidural around 9:30pm and DD was born at 12:46...the lady in the room next to me got to 7cm dialated and she was on so much pain, she couldn't relax enough to become fully dialated...she finally got an epidural and had her baby 2 hours later...maybe it depends on the person
ilovesummer2010
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:33 AM
I've given birth twice, one with a epideral and one without. My daughter is almost 4 and doesn't have autism. Both labors were around 5 hours. If you get a epideral early like at 3cm, it might slow things down. I didn't get the epideral till i was 7cm.
MizzSuzy
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:36 AM
No i never heard that it can cause autism. I had an epidural and my labor was.12 hours
ilovesummer2010
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:37 AM
Oops, ment "epidural" stupid phone

Quoting ilovesummer2010: I've given birth twice, one with a epideral and one without. My daughter is almost 4 and doesn't have autism. Both labors were around 5 hours. If you get a epideral early like at 3cm, it might slow things down. I didn't get the epideral till i was 7cm.
mama2b100808
by Mandy on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:49 AM

I had one before I had a csection and my daughter is 5 years old and she is healthy and very smart. She has showed no signs of autism.

kendallrose
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:58 AM

I had one with my oldest. He has shown not signs of autism. My labors have all been long, but I think that depends on the person.

Serabeth06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:00 AM

I've had three babies, only one epidural because my labor lasted two days and I was exhausted. I won't be getting another one. But to answer your question, I've never heard of autism, but yes, it can make your labor longer, and can increase your risk of needing a c-section. Also, here's a list from the NIH on some risks.

• Allergic reaction to the anesthesia used
  • Bleeding around the spinal column (hematoma)
  • Difficulty urinating
  • Drop in blood pressure
  • Infection in your spine (meningitis or abscess)
  • Nerve damage
  • Seizures (this is rare)
  • Severe headache
  • http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/007413.htm

TheMommaJessie
    by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:04 AM

studies have shown it does make labor last longer. i had a spinal block for emergancy c-section and it caused severe back issues sever pain numbness tingeling in my arms legs back feet and I will never have another c-section

erin708
    by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:10 AM
    I've had three and all three babies are healthy.
    Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    Succubus1987
    by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:14 AM
    My doctor broke my water at 7:30pm, got an epidural at 10:30pm and had my boy at 1:45am. No problems and no pitocin.
    Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)