Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sex talk

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:59 AM
  • 10 Replies

I have heard some parents getting mad because kids are finding out about sex from school or a church. Yes I understand its parents responsibility not other places to talk to kids about it, but I feel like parents aren't talking to their kids fast enough or at all so that is going to be how they find out. So I have a question. What age is the best age to start talking about it? 

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nickysnooks
by New Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:13 AM

Good question. My son is 7 and soooo innocent :) Maybe 12? In our era though I'd think more 10 or 11. I also think it may be different for boys and girls. Girls seem to mature faster than boys in general. 

RUMyMummy
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:10 AM
2 moms liked this
As soon as they have curiosity, which can be as early as kindergarten. You can talk about sex (or even just appropriate touching) in healthy ways from a very young age. Waiting until puberty, which can be as early as 9 or 10 does them a disservice. By that time they could have absorbed mountains of wrong info from their peers.
JRSMOM0621
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:27 AM

My mom started the talk at 9 when my body started the oh so lovely period. My brother was a different time all together. I'll probably do the talk with my boys when they start doing things. Hopefully I'll give them the information they need and not too much or too little

Mommy to one angel, 1 crazy toddler and 1 on the way!!
mama2b100808
by Mandy on Feb. 14, 2014 at 7:56 AM

Well see that is a hard question. I was told when I was 7 or 8 years old. That was because I was raped by my stepfather. My mother wasn't ready to tell me. But being all of that happened I also started my period at 8 years old. I am not sure for myself when the right age is to tell my daughter about it. But I think when they time is right we will know. 

TheMommaJessie
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:06 AM

never had the talk with my parents 

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:12 PM
I was 10 when my mom had the sex talk with me. I feel like that is a good age.
esox
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:24 PM
I think I was probably already 15 or 16 when my mother called me a cow and gave the "why buy the cow when you get the milk for free" lecture. By then I had already been having sex for months. Too little too late.

I agree that its never to early to start talking about it in an age appropriate manner. Starting when they find their own bodies as toddlers and just keeping the dialogue open as they grow and mature. Actual sex, sex talk maybe around 11ish depending on the maturity and stage the kid is in.
Iowagrad2011
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:11 PM

I am so sorry to hear about that!

Quoting mama2b100808:

Well see that is a hard question. I was told when I was 7 or 8 years old. That was because I was raped by my stepfather. My mother wasn't ready to tell me. But being all of that happened I also started my period at 8 years old. I am not sure for myself when the right age is to tell my daughter about it. But I think when they time is right we will know. 

mama2b100808
by Mandy on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Thanks! I could write a whole book about my screwed up life but I think I will pass on that. lol 

Quoting Iowagrad2011:

Quoting mama2b100808:

Iowagrad2011
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah its sad to think of crazy sick people out there and what they do to poor children

Quoting mama2b100808:

Thanks! I could write a whole book about my screwed up life but I think I will pass on that. lol 

Quoting Iowagrad2011:

Quoting mama2b100808:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)