Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Kissing Your Kids on the Lips: Jessica Alba Does It, Do You?

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 10:46 AM
  • 50 Replies

Kissing Your Kids on the Lips: Jessica Alba Does It, Do You?

by Jenny Erikson

Jessica Alba recently learned some shocking news: Not all parents kiss their kids on the lips! In a recent interview with Redbook, the 32-year-old actress and mom of two opened up about her home life -- including how she and hubby Cash Warren show affection for their kids.

Apparently for little Honor, 5, and Haven, 2, puckering up for mom is a normal part of life. Alba said that she was surprised to learn that some parents don’t kiss their kids on their mouths. “Really? Why?!” she exclaimed. “It’s your baby. People allow dogs to lick at their mouths.”

Side note: I have never understood the appeal of letting a dog lick your mouth. But to each their own, I suppose.

Anyway, I think it’s kind of out of touch to claim ignorance that some people are opposed to parents kissing their children on the lips. I mean, look at the controversy Will and Jaden Smith caused last summer when he just pretended to kiss his son on the lips!

More from The Stir: Stop Kissing Your Kids on the Lips NOW (You Too Harry Connick Jr.)

But then again, people have very different ideas on the social acceptability of kissing your children on the mouth. Personally, I kissed my babies on their perfect little lips all the way until they were up to about five or six. Mostly just because when they were toddlers they did that adorable thing where they hold your cheeks in their hands and go in for a kiss. It made up somewhat for the naptime tantrums.

Yet others are totally opposed to kissing babies and toddlers on the mouth at all. And I think we can all probably agree that a 26-year-old locking lips with his mom is going to have us re-telling the tale over a bottle of wine with girlfriends and lots of Norman Bates references.

At what age do you think parents should knock off the kissing their kids on the lips business?

by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 11:43 AM

I do it

kbutton24
by Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 11:43 AM
I do but I think it's gross when other people kiss dd on the lips.
armyvet06
by Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 11:45 AM
I do it
TheMommaJessie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 11:47 AM

my ds is 3 and i still kiss him on the lips. i guess when ever both parent and child feel weird about it they should stop

HippieMomma08
by Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this
I do it. My oldest is just shy of 6. When/if she starts to seem uncomfortable with it I'll stop. Hasn't happened yet and if it never does I'm cool with that.
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Mar. 7, 2014 at 1:16 PM

I do it with my daughter, my son is 5 and he turns his cheek when I go in for a kiss.

Lily-and-Fox
by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 1:25 PM

I do. They're your children. There's nothing wrong with a peck on the lips.

I'll probably switch to cheek/forehead/nose/etc kisses when they're about 6ish.

girlfriendcj70
by Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 1:27 PM
I kiss all my daughters on the lips. I still kiss my parents on the lips
mommaofALT
by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 1:29 PM

I rather not kiss my kids on the lips. Their checks, top of their heads, little baby feets, ect. My problem with the mouth is kids are germy messes! LOL If they go to kiss me on my mouth I don't stop them and I will kiss them back- I just rather not. 

StreetsAhead
by Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 1:31 PM
Of course I do, I still kiss my dad on the lips
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)