Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

would you do a 1 year olds birthday party at a

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:51 PM
  • 73 Replies
Restaurant? I was thinking about doing my daughters party at mazzios , a pizza place. I was going to decorate tables and have cake/ presents . And people could order food if they wanted, but im not paying for it. Good idea or bad? Any suggestions?
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RUMyMummy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:03 PM
5 moms liked this
I think pay to play (or eat) birthday parties are frustrating and kind of tacky. I'm sure they can be tastefully done or are appropriate under certain circumstances, but a smaller affair at home is preferable. You don't even have to serve a meal, just invite close friends and family over for cake.
JG86
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:24 PM
5 moms liked this
You can't really host a party AT a restaurant and not pay for it. lol

I agree with the last poster...tacky.
k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:28 PM
2 moms liked this
If you have it at a restaurant I would at least pay for pizza and drinks for everyone, and if they want to eat something other than pizza then they could pay for that. I agree that not paying for any of their food is tacky.
SABRINA_29
by New Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:30 PM
I am having a hard time deciding what to do for my daughter's first birthday. I want to just do cake and have her open her birthday presents but her dad wants something different.
MMerrill
by Melissa on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:44 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't like the idea of a birthday party of any sort at a restaurant.  I feel like it makes people feel obligated to buy a gift and buy their meal, unless you are paying for food... such as a pizza or something.

We did my sons birthday party at our home.

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

jmaw89
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:46 PM
3 moms liked this
Is the restaurant going to let you use their space and not buy food?
Mommy4-27-08
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:58 PM
1 mom liked this
If you host it at a restaurant, you need to buy something. I did my daughters second birthday at the rainforest cafe and I paid for all the kids meals and desserts. If parents chose to stay, they could pay for themselves. Why not just buy 3 or 4 pizzas and a few pitchers. If people want more, they can buy it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilmama8408
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I think the general rule of thumb is you get a discount on a meal deal for renting a space but you cant rent out the space and not order. Its also very tacky to invite people to a resturant and then not pay for the food. 

Ive never hosted a party where we dont have snacks/meals, drinks ect. Its the job as a host to provide these types of things. 

Courtney610
by Courtney on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:15 PM
Completely agree.

Quoting RUMyMummy: I think pay to play (or eat) birthday parties are frustrating and kind of tacky. I'm sure they can be tastefully done or are appropriate under certain circumstances, but a smaller affair at home is preferable. You don't even have to serve a meal, just invite close friends and family over for cake.
prego_jessi
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:21 PM

my sister had my nieces bday party at a restraunt in their banquet room.  I see no problem with it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)