Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Have you ever worried about your child's safety while using a shopping cart?

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:15 AM
  • 10 Replies

Simple Thing Moms Use Every Day Causes Thousands of Toddler Head Injuries

by Mary Fischer 

child in shopping cartI guess we really shouldn't be all that surprised that there are kids who get hurt in the process of sitting in something moms use on a daily basis, but would you believe that a staggering 24,000 children are sent to the ER due to shopping cart injuries each year? That's 66 kids per day, if you do the math.

A new Clinical Pediatrics study found that shopping cart safety standards are not up to par. The number of kids suffering concussions and head injuries while using them is on the rise.

A whopping 70.4 percent of accidents are due to children falling out of the cart. As for the remaining 30 or so percent? Running into the cart, falling over it, having a body part trapped in it, or having the cart tip over also resulted in injuries to kids.

And considering how many of us strap our kids into those carts without a second thought -- this information is definitely not something we should take lightly.

More from The Stir: 5 Tips for Helping Your Kids Deal With Pain From Injuries

All it takes is a couple of seconds -- and your child could wind up seriously injured. A few months ago, I was behind a lady and her toddler in the grocery store check-out line, and all of a sudden, the little girl stood up in the seat of the shopping cart and proceeded to reach for something on the candy shelf. I managed to catch her as she was falling out of the cart -- but I still remember my heart dropping into my stomach when I saw her start to go down.

And I guess that brings us to one safety reminder we can never ignore when it comes to strapping our kids in -- and that's actually strapping them in. Even if you think your child is too big to fall out of the seat, you never know when he or she is going to try and climb out. Use the strap every single time.

Also, it's unrealistic for us to be able to keep our eyes on our kids every single second and pick out our food at the same time. That is why I always at least kept one hand on the cart when my son was little even if I had to look away for a moment. At least this way, you will be able to feel your child starting to crawl out -- and it also lessens the possibility of the cart tipping over should it become top heavy.

But it's also important to note that not all of the injuries reported are due to falls -- so your child doesn't necessarily have to be sitting in the cart to suffer an injury. If you have an older toddler, it can be tempting to let him stand in front of you kind of "riding" on the foot bar of the cart while you push it. But you always run the risk of it tipping and falling on top of them if that happens -- so make sure to be extra careful. (Or don't allow this behavior at all.)

Have you ever worried about your child's safety while using a shopping cart?

by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RUMyMummy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:01 PM
Ds once nose dived over the front of the cart while shopping with my grandma and sister. Another time he and my husband thought it was a great idea to let him ride on his belly below the basket and ended up rolling over his fingers. He was fine both times and everyone involved felt terrible but i hate shopping carts. *shudder*
PeaceMuch
by Kali on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:57 PM
I'm cautious but not overly worried. We've been lucky. And they don't ride in them anymore.
k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 1:04 PM

I am always cautious when dd is in them. And df and I always go to the store together anyway, so one of us does ALWAYS have our eyes on dd.

Rhodin
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 1:08 PM
Neither of my kids like the seat. ODD prefers to ride in the basket with the food and YDD prefers to walk.
sam12796
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 1:09 PM
I'm pretty attentive when they were in carts. When in carrier it was always in back inside cart. If I had to shop twice a week because it all didn't fit so be it. When older I always used buckled. Why would you not? Gambling with safety is not something I would do.
OrangeSunset
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Yes, from the first time I ever took my oldest into the store. This lady ahead of me had a little one who stood up in the seat and tried to jump on top of a display of sodas before she caught him. He missed half of the display and she caught him by one arm and leg a split second before he smacked the floor, saving him from hitting his head but causing him major bruising on his other arm and leg. It was so horrifying that I've been hypervigilant with my two.

OrangeSunset
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 4:53 PM

What I really like are those kiddie carts where they have the plastic seats behind that they can sit on and buckle into almost like carseats attached to the cart. Those things are genius!

ja2010
by Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 9:02 AM

No not really he likes playing with the straps.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Not really. I am usually pretty cautious and am right there if they start getting up or something.

ilovecandy
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:29 PM

90% of the shopping carts we use, the straps are missing, broken, or to knotted that i couldnt use them if we wanted to so i wind up carrying my child. it sucks huge ones

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)