Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

I am about to lose my S*** with my 17 month old.

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 7:34 PM
  • 12 Replies

Hello Ladies! Hope everyone is well.

So, my son is 17 months and he used to eat everything and the past month he has all of a sudden became super picky! Ive tried different recipies, ingredients, herbs, spices and he still gives me a hard time!!!!

The past week he has been vomiting, no fever, very messy diapers and again not eating much. He drinks water, juice, little bit of milk..maybe a 4oz.(he used to drink a whole cup or bottle) he only gets a bottle at night time, sometimes. Anyways, hes been throwing his food, gagging, just refusing to eat and I am about to lose my shit. He will eat potatoes, noodles and grapes, but I cant just give him that everyday. When I cook him eggs in the morning it has to have cheese or sandwhich ham in it in order for him to eat. Its becoming so frustrating. This is my first and probably only kid and Im starting to feel overwhelmed....................

I have no idea what to do. Idk if he is starting his "terrible twos" early or if I am doing something wrong. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks 4 listening Ladies!

by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 7:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blinx
by New Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 7:37 PM

be patient. its 100% normal for them to turn picky. pediasure worked for us when our kids went through the picky phase, but he also may be intollerant to milk, so it may be giving him a rocky tummy. breathe in, breathe out, and know that is you keep offering things, eventually he WILL eat. 

PeaceMuch
by Kali on Mar. 14, 2014 at 10:54 AM
2 moms liked this
Maybe he is bored with food? Do you give the same meals daily? I know it's easy to get into routine but some people need daily change of food. And some kids just get picky out of the blue. It's not terrible 2's, it's just a phase. Just keep offering food and try not to make it a big deal if he doesn't eat. If you are stressed he can sense that and won't eat. Be calm. This is not that big of a deal.
MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Mar. 14, 2014 at 12:54 PM
Allergies or illness?
Trevorsmommy1
by Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow I could have written that myself! I m going through the same thing, except I noticed his molars are coming in, I m guessing that's what's his problem is..i hope he does better for u soon!;
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Mar. 15, 2014 at 11:16 AM
2 moms liked this
I think most kids go through this phase. Just keep offering it will get easier!
tinkermom87
by Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 9:12 PM
I would just keep offering, but try not to stress so much. My nephew can be really fussy and he's 3 yrs old. What about yogurt smoothies. Dannon makes good ones for kids.
candicehanson21
by New Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 10:19 PM
My son.is going through the samet jing. With my son he is teething so it is best i give cold soft foods. Maybe try that
prettygirl326
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 11:24 PM

it's normal...both my kids did that around 1 to 2 years old. 

m.garcia21
by Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 11:51 PM
My 3 yo went thru the same thing when she was younger, i do agree with another poster who said he could be getting bored with food, just keep offering him different things make sure to give him a vitamin and watch his weight gl

Quoting gabwest:

Hello Ladies! Hope everyone is well.

So, my son is 17 months and he used to eat everything and the past month he has all of a sudden became super picky! Ive tried different recipies, ingredients, herbs, spices and he still gives me a hard time!!!!

The past week he has been vomiting, no fever, very messy diapers and again not eating much. He drinks water, juice, little bit of milk..maybe a 4oz.(he used to drink a whole cup or bottle) he only gets a bottle at night time, sometimes. Anyways, hes been throwing his food, gagging, just refusing to eat and I am about to lose my shit. He will eat potatoes, noodles and grapes, but I cant just give him that everyday. When I cook him eggs in the morning it has to have cheese or sandwhich ham in it in order for him to eat. Its becoming so frustrating. This is my first and probably only kid and Im starting to feel overwhelmed....................

I have no idea what to do. Idk if he is starting his "terrible twos" early or if I am doing something wrong. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks 4 listening Ladies!

faithnardo92
by Member on Mar. 16, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Oh honey I'm going through that right now. Try bananas, olives, different soups hope that helps my son is so picky it's not even funny. I make a nice meal and he just throws it on the floor and begs for milk.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)