Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Do you trust the 5-second rule, or will you throw away anything that hits the floor?

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:24 AM
  • 20 Replies

5-Second Rule Is Proven True & Parents Breathe a Sigh of Relief

by Adriana Velez

upside-down cupcakeA year or so ago we heard that the 5-second rule was bunk. According to science vlogger Michael Stevens, when you drop food on the floor it becomes instantly contaminated. This is unfortunate news for those of us with kids who drop food on the floor and swipe that stuff back into their little maws faster than we can stop them. And, okay, maybe some of us have been ignoring Stevens' advice and calling the 5-second rule for ourselves, too. Well wishful thinkers, we are in luck! Scientists have gone and proven that the 5-second rule works after all.

New research shows that the longer your food stays on the floor, the more bacteria it collects. The floor surface matters, too. Tile and laminate are likely to transfer more bacteria to your food, while carpet transfers less. So I guess if you've been looking for an excuse to put a rug under your table, this is it. Not only does that mean you vacuum instead of sweep, your dropped food will be safer to eat.

This is the clear choice for people who base their home decor on the likelihood of dropping food on the floor. And to those people I say: I salute you! This is the only practical approach to home decor.

HOWEVER. We may have to curtail our celebration just a wee bit, because this study doesn't exactly prove that your food won't get contaminated at all, if you can rescue it in under 5 seconds. It's just going to be less poisonous.

"Consuming food dropped on the floor still carries an infection risk as it very much depends on which bacteria are present on the floor at the time," says lead researcher Anthony Hilton. "However, the findings of this study will bring some light relief to those who have been employing the five-second rule for years, despite a general consensus that it is purely a myth."

Congratulations, cast-iron-bellied people who eat food off the floor. You are now back in the right.

Do you trust the 5-second rule, or will you throw away anything that hits the floor?

by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aandt1999
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this

If it hits the floor, it goes in the garbage. Period.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Unless I just cleaned the floor and it is spotless everything that hits the floor goes in the trash.

Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:43 AM
It really depends what we drop. Anything mushy goes in the trash, some things can be rinsed off and others we just eat. But only at home
KREX0914
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Trevorsmommy1
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 11:17 AM
Usually we pitch it..
babie113
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 11:20 AM
no its a load of bollocks.vsauce has a video on this
rachellaree20
by Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 11:25 AM

If it hits the floor our dog will get it faster than I can pick it up usually.

EarlGrayHot
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 12:35 PM

The five second rule is totally bogus.  If it hits the floor it has germs on it.

aandt1999
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:19 PM

LOL. Exactly!

Quoting KREX0914:

acer.acerpori
by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 1:21 PM
That's how it goes in this house too.

Quoting rachellaree20:

If it hits the floor our dog will get it faster than I can pick it up usually.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)