Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Is it a good idea to buy a house in your early 20s?

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 4:44 PM
  • 56 Replies

I'm growing really tired of apartment life. My daughter's more active than ever now and the neighbors are getting really irritated with her. I try to keep her from running and making a lot of noise, and stop her every time as quickly as I can. I can't be everywhere at once and I can't let dinner burn because I need to make her quiet down to avoid upsetting a neighbor, kwim?

Anyway, I'm starting to think about buying a house and then she'd be able to run around in our own yard and not worry about neighbors beneath our feet or anything like that. What do you think? Is it a good idea to buy a house now? 

by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 4:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PeaceMuch
by Kali on Mar. 21, 2014 at 4:48 PM
Yes.
ZoeCY
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 4:49 PM

If you can afford it yes.

We lived with my parents for a little while before buying house just because we wanted to avoid apartment living especially with a child.

baquick
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this
If you can afford it, sure. Just start small, you don't need to shoot for your dream home.
Courtney610
by Courtney on Mar. 21, 2014 at 4:53 PM

As long as you can afford it, absolutely.  We bought this house 7 years ago, I was 22.

Courtney610
by Courtney on Mar. 21, 2014 at 4:55 PM

exactly.  Our house is small, but we could afford it.  Now, we have equity built up in it, so when we are ready for a more permanent home, we will have extra money to put towards it.

Quoting baquick: If you can afford it, sure. Just start small, you don't need to shoot for your dream home.

baquick
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 4:58 PM
I'm 27 and know that my "dream home" has changed several times lol.

Quoting Courtney610:

exactly.  Our house is small, but we could afford it.  Now, we have equity built up in it, so when we are ready for a more permanent home, we will have extra money to put towards it.

Quoting baquick: If you can afford it, sure. Just start small, you don't need to shoot for your dream home.

AliKatAK47
by Alicia on Mar. 21, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Yes. We did. I'm happy. I love my house. Its nice to know I am not going to be bounced around anymore. 

nerdymom28
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 5:17 PM

If you can afford it, of course! I bought my house 4 years ago. I was 23.

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 8:59 PM
My husband and I purchased our first home when were 21 and 23. It's worked out fine for us. It's more about money and money planning then age, lol.
JessiFaye
by Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 4:04 PM

My husband and I purchased our home when we were almost 23 and 27. I didn't want to throw my money at a rental. It has been such a great investment. Will we stay here forever? No, but it is a nice starter house, and fits us and our son just fine. :) We've been here almost five years. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN