Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Kindergardener struggling ~ How to help her? Anyone use ABCmouse?

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:42 PM
  • 11 Replies

My daughter is in kindergarden. She was in head start last year and a part time pre school before that. However, when I attempted to teach her at home, letters, numbers, colors, etc, she resisted. She loved learning from outsiders like her teachers but refused to pay attention for me. So, now that she is in Kindergarden she is playing catch up. She is finally on target with her letters and writing, numbers, etc. But, her reading is way behind. She should know about 30 sight words according to the teacher but she doesn't. One big issue is we live in a small town where none of the kids go to school on Fridays but Kindergarden is only half a day. So, the teacher has the same standards to teach but less than half the time to do it in as other schools. The state won't fund our school having a full day kindergarden class. I really want my daughter to make it to 1st grade next year but I am not opposed to holding her back if she needs it. Any ideas on helping her? The school has tested her and she isn't learning disabled or slow. She is just playing catch up. She has a strong desire to learn. I want to work with her at home. Anyone use ABCmouse or something similar? ANY suggestions are welcome! Thank you!

by on Mar. 26, 2014 at 2:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KikiB85
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 4:27 PM
Abcya.com my dd loves it. She is 7. They break it up by grade and it's free
KikiB85
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 4:31 PM
Also my son is a very slow reader. I held him back in 2nd grade. He's doing fabulous. It was beat thing i could of done for him. If she doesn't improve i would concider it. Do it while they are young. It's not as bad as most think.
C8linVilla
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 4:41 PM

I have used ABCmouse.com but my daughter just wanted to color or redecorate her room. I never did find any of the stuff that the website shows for learning. it did nothing for her in 2 months so i stopped getting it. But My daughter is in K as well and while she is ahead in most everything we still take flash cards and write out words and tape them to the items in the house. 

How is her reading behind? we are into almost april and my K is still not even close to reading. but then they dont teach reading they are just teaching her site words(the and but now)

As far as counting Again we do flash cards. we have a fish tank and so we do something like this 

TETRA 10 (TEN)

ANGEL FISH 4(FOUR)

stuff like that. Or for toys. Or food. tell her you want to play with them first tell me how many there are. Put everything into groups. brushing teeth or time at a red light count the seconds and have her help you. 

take her for a walk and count the flowers. Use street signs(i know small town im in one too but stop signs or speed limit signs house signs with names or house numbers) thats always a big hit with all my kids they love reading the signs. 

huntin_mama
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 4:44 PM
Thanks!

Quoting KikiB85: Abcya.com my dd loves it. She is 7. They break it up by grade and it's free
KikiB85
by Member on Mar. 26, 2014 at 4:57 PM
My dd was learning reading in kindergarten. Site words were the bigger focus but they still worked on reading.

Quoting C8linVilla:

I have used ABCmouse.com but my daughter just wanted to color or redecorate her room. I never did find any of the stuff that the website shows for learning. it did nothing for her in 2 months so i stopped getting it. But My daughter is in K as well and while she is ahead in most everything we still take flash cards and write out words and tape them to the items in the house. 

How is her reading behind? we are into almost april and my K is still not even close to reading. but then they dont teach reading they are just teaching her site words(the and but now)

As far as counting Again we do flash cards. we have a fish tank and so we do something like this 

TETRA 10 (TEN)

ANGEL FISH 4(FOUR)

stuff like that. Or for toys. Or food. tell her you want to play with them first tell me how many there are. Put everything into groups. brushing teeth or time at a red light count the seconds and have her help you. 

take her for a walk and count the flowers. Use street signs(i know small town im in one too but stop signs or speed limit signs house signs with names or house numbers) thats always a big hit with all my kids they love reading the signs. 

PeaceMuch
by Kali on Mar. 26, 2014 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Starfall is free. Flashcards help a lot.
k9l1c5
by Ruby Member on Mar. 28, 2014 at 10:26 AM

I have thought of abcmouse for my 2 year old, but just can't justify paying that much for a website. And since someone else said they tried it and there wasn't as much educational stuff on there, makes me think it is a huge waste of money. Good luck, I hope you can find something that will work well for her :).

MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Mar. 28, 2014 at 10:52 AM
You can get the same thing fr other websites for free.

But if she is that behind, you really have to work with her at home. If she is "resisting", you don't just give up. You try different ways to teach.
PeaceMuch
by Kali on Mar. 29, 2014 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree! My 7 year old is behind but I just had to work extra hard to figure out how he learns. And I forward the information to his teachers so they can apply it as well.

Quoting MamaPeanut: You can get the same thing fr other websites for free.

But if she is that behind, you really have to work with her at home. If she is "resisting", you don't just give up. You try different ways to teach.
geekymom08
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 2:46 PM
Some of Starfall is free. Not all of it. You have to have a membership to access all of the site. The membership is something like 35 dollars a year. I bought the membership so I could make worksheets and get access to all of their materials.

Quoting PeaceMuch: Starfall is free. Flashcards help a lot.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)