Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Did you save for your child's day care before they were born?

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 9:49 AM
  • 16 Replies

Alarming News on Day Care Costs Will Convince All of Us to Be Stay-at-Home Moms

by Suzee Skwiot

day care more expensive than college tuitionIt's official: I can totally not afford to have children. There's absolutely no way I can shoulder all of the expenses when, according to recent research, I should have been saving for my future child's day care since I was 8 years old.

That's right. A report shows that day care for a baby is more expensive than in-state tuition and fees in 31 states! Say what?! For example, according to Child Care Aware America, the cost of day care in New York is over $15,000 while in-state college tuition is a nice $6,500. That's over an $8,000 difference.

So think about it: Parents have at least 18 years to save for their child's college education. But day care? Does anyone legitimately think about that 18 years before they'll be having children? Clearly not, or else I would have started saving 15 years ago (the study also shows that the average age of a first-time parent is 26).

Sorry, future child. I haven't been saving for you. I spent my teenage years splurging on Hollister tees (though I'll deny that forever) and Jesse McCartney concert tickets. Not to mention my own college education.

But for people who are currently looking to start a family, the costs are very real. Day care fees vary by state, mostly because there are different regulations, fees, and licensing regulations, as well as a general difference in cost of living. Similarly, in-state college tuition depends on how much each individual state spends on public higher education. Either way, we know one thing for sure: kids are expensive, from the moment you're dropping them off at child care to the time you drive them to their freshman year dorms.

Did you save for your child's day care before they were born?

by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
C.H.E.L.S.E.A
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 10:06 AM

I saw that article and think it's crazy! We didn't save because we don't plan to use daycare. My son is 4 and has never been in daycare and we don't plan on it with any of our future kids either.

Callaly
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 11:41 AM

I thank god that I live in Canada and have 7$ a day daycare!

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Apr. 11, 2014 at 2:06 PM

No but we had made the decision that I would stay home before the kids were born.

JessiFaye
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 2:08 PM
We use a friend who does childcare at her home. We didn't save for it in advance; it's cheaper than traditional daycare and we just worked it into our monthly budget.
KristinKeys
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 2:20 PM
I didn't save but I wish I would have done it
MamaPeanut
by Kristy on Apr. 11, 2014 at 2:20 PM
Daycare is so expensive. It's scary!

I'm very lucky to be a sahm.
Mylilmonkey1120
by Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 6:12 AM
nope, and even without childcare here you need two fulltime incomes to live. So I work 10pm-6am and he works 7-3
kajira
by Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Makes me appreciate to be a stay at home mom - I know for us, daycare would cost more then I could bring in working part time,or even full time. It makes no sense to have me work.

TheJs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 10:46 AM

makes me thankful my MIL keeps my kids for free

PeaceMuch
by Kali on Apr. 12, 2014 at 11:26 AM
Daycare is crazy expensive. That's one of the reasons I am a SAHM and I like to provide families with low cost babysitting.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)