Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Booster seat at 4?

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2014 at 6:36 PM
  • 45 Replies
Dd's friend does not use a booster seat anymore and she just turned 6. Dd is the same size as her, but she's only 4 (she is in the 95% for height and 93% for weight). Dd is still in a 5 point harness car seat. I want to move her to a booster seat, but I'm scared it's too early. Her car seat straps are not above her shoulders anymore, they are directly behind her shoulders now. Is it time to switch or can I wait a while longer?? Btw I think 6 is wayyyyyyyyy too young to be sitting in the backseat without a booster seat.
by on Apr. 12, 2014 at 6:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dreamarrow
by Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 6:39 PM
How tall/weight of your child?
Also quit worrying about your dd's friend and what they do or don't sit in.
JG86
by Gold Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 6:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I would wait as long as possible. What are the weight/height requirements on your car seat?

I still have my 6 year old in a 5 pt harness seat. He's very tall, but still sits comfortably.
Simple-Beauty
by Gold Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this
It's illegal for 6 year old to ride without a booster here.

What seat do you have? Our DD was harnessed until recently and she's about to turn 8. I'm still not 100% comfortable with boostering, there's no way I'd do it at 4.

Your child is no match for a vehicle colliding with yours, no matter her size. I'd keep her harnessed even if it meant investing in a new seat.
Mommy_Jenx3
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 7:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't switch. My youngest just turned 5 and she is still in a 5 point and will be for awhile. She is a peanut at only 31 lbs. I keep my kids in a 5 point for awhile.

lenashark
by Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 7:54 PM
1 mom liked this

My son is six and in a five point. A four year old does not belong outside of a five point, it's about more than size, it's about bone development.

girlsandI
by on Apr. 12, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Personally, I'd wait until she reaches the weight and height limit of her seat. Is she able to sit properly for extended periods with out leaning or slouching? If not, then I wouldn't move to a booster just yet. It's okay for her straps to be at her shoulders. 

ja2010
by Member on Apr. 13, 2014 at 9:35 PM

It is your mother instincts. If you don't feel comfortable then don't do it. 

kajira
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 1:39 AM

My 3 year old is in a 5 point still. When she out grows it height wise, I may have to switch her to a high backed booster, simply because I got one that accomodate up to 42 inches front facing and she's already 39.

My 10 year old still sits in a booster seat... my rule of thumb is "How do they fit in the seat" - do you want to invest in a bigger 5 point, or how would a high backed booster fit that has the holders for the lap belt and shoulder belt. The key to a safe belt is making sure it sits on the shoulder and across the lap with out being lose or digging into the neck.

Until they are tall enough to safely have a high backed booster secure the belt properly, they belong in a 5 point... I am not as anal about some people, and far more anal then others. (i get a lot of crap for my 10 year old still sitting in a booster, with people saying it has to embarass him due to his "age" .... meh, safety is more important to me.)

I took my son out of a high backed booster around age 8, when he was tall enough to have a regular booster seat be enough to prop him up to have the belt fit properly. ith out the booster, it would cut into his neck - which is why he's still in one.

With my daughter, she'll probably outgrow her 5 point in the next year or so. She'll be 4 at the end of this year. I'm not sure if I'll buy her another 5 point, or if i'll switch her to a high backed booster. I guess it depends on if I can find one for a reasonable price that has enough room to grow.... and how the belt fits with the high backed on her. If it doesn't fit her properly, i'll try to find another 5 point that accomodates a few more inches - but we'll see what I decide when the time comes. Although, I tend to lean more towards safety, then convienance.

kajira
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 1:48 AM

Here's an example of a 5 point restraint that's reasonably priced, that when they reach a certain height, switches to a high backed booster. (in this case, 43 inches... and then accomdates 80lbs to 52 inches.)

linz04060913
by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 1:52 AM
1 mom liked this

You might need a bigger harness seat. If you're on facebook, look up carseats for the littles. They can help you either online or might be able to get you in contact with someone local to you. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN