Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

How do I start putting my son to sleep in his crib?

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 7:26 PM
  • 15 Replies
Hello...My son will be 1 this month he sleeps with me on the bed. I have a play pen next to my bed but once I put him in he will sit up and start crying I just get frustrated he ends up sleeping with me...He has his own room though I don't know how to make him sleep on his own I'm stuck if anyone can give me helpful advice I will appreciate it thanks
by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 7:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
babie113
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 7:30 PM

this is why i dont co sleep .

the first night stay by the crib each night move away a bit just sit in a chair so baby can see you till hes asleep .

LaLaMonkey
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 7:30 PM
I always had DD nap in her crib during the day even though she slept in the bassinet in my room at night until she was 3 months old, then I just put her in her crib one night and stuck to it. I don't know how that would be different with a 1yo though since she went into a toddler bed at 1 and a twin sized bed at 16months.
babie113
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 7:31 PM
2 moms liked this

or let him cio for 10 mins before comforting him ,i did that with my oldest

kadams93
by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe your son isn't ready to sleep by himself yet and needs the comfort of you beside him. I plan on following my son's cues and letting him decide when he's ready to sleep alone. Babies are physiologically designed to be close to their mamas, I believe, but whatever works for your family works for your family. :)
TainaLove89
by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:06 PM
Yes I believe you are right he does look for my warmth and sometimes just looks up to see if I am there. Little by little I will keep trying though
kadams93
by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Whenever I get moments when I just want my bed to myself and my beau, I just remind myself one day my baby isn't even goimg to like me very much, lol. Sometimes my son reaches out in his sleep to make sure I'm still there, and I adore the feeling that evokes. It is important that both sides of it are happy with the sleeping arrangement and getting sleep though. If it's not working for you, I would suggest gently coaxing him to sleep in his own bed, starting with naps. Lay him down while he's still awake but on the verge of sleep, and rub his back or belly until he goes to sleep. It will likely take some work to train him that this is how to sleep, though, and he may fight you a little bit on it, but consistency is key, and just reaffirm to him that you're still there.
TainaLove89
by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:21 PM
Thanks for your advice I am a single mom so he's the king of the bed for now lol but I will try that
ZoeCatheryn
by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:35 PM
My daughter is 8 months old and I just got her sleeping in her crib last month. I'm not gonna lie, its rough. I tried easing her into it by staying beside her and patting her and comforting her, even rocking her to sleep then putting her down. The first few things just pissed her off more and rocking her to sleep worked, but took too much time to do every time she woke up. I now use the cry it out method. It sucks and breaks my heart, but after about a week of heart shattering hell she's now sleeping fine and getting herself to sleep as well. Another trick is to put something in the crib that smells like you, or that can be associated with you as a comfort. Hope this helps! I know it's rough. Hang in there!
mommys2babies
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 11:07 PM
Try putting in crib at nap & gradually work towards bedtime.
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Apr. 28, 2014 at 1:14 PM

I coslept and it is hard to transition. I would try having him fall asleep and then switching him to the crib, make it a routine thing. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN