Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does this mean she's being abused?

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 9:47 PM
  • 19 Replies
Found out my 7 year old daughter has been masturbating. I've heard people say that this is a sign that abuse is happening. I can't have an unbiased opinion on this because I myself was molested as a young child. What are your thoughts on this topic?
by on May. 4, 2014 at 9:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama_pink_tink
by on May. 4, 2014 at 9:51 PM
I was abused and did it, I have no idea why either. I would start by finding a way to talk to her, see if she knows what she's doing to start
Honey_Comb
by on May. 4, 2014 at 10:00 PM
I'm not even sure how to approach her. She doesn't know I know.

Quoting mama_pink_tink: I was abused and did it, I have no idea why either. I would start by finding a way to talk to her, see if she knows what she's doing to start
Mommy4-27-08
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2014 at 10:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it can be a sign, but for other kids I think it's just an exploration thing. At 7, it probably isn't sexual as much as it feels good so she continues to do it. I wouldn't make too big of a deal about it since you don't want her to feel ashamed of her body and her feelings. If that is the only sign, I wouldn't stress too much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Honey_Comb
by on May. 4, 2014 at 10:58 PM
Yeah there isn't anything else that concerns me. I know it's a natural thing. Thank you for that! =)

Quoting Mommy4-27-08: I think it can be a sign, but for other kids I think it's just an exploration thing. At 7, it probably isn't sexual as much as it feels good so she continues to do it. I wouldn't make too big of a deal about it since you don't want her to feel ashamed of her body and her feelings. If that is the only sign, I wouldn't stress too much.
MMerrill
by on May. 5, 2014 at 12:04 AM

Do you know for sure she has been masturbating?  I've never really heard of children that young masturbating as far as exploration goes... but I don't think her doing it at that age necessarily means there is any abuse.

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on May. 5, 2014 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I think mastubation is normal in young children, If you are concerned you mihgt have the good touch bad touch talk with her. 

booaura
by on May. 5, 2014 at 8:47 AM
Masturbation and exploration is normal. It can be a sign of molestation, or totally normal. Talk to her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shellybird
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 3:13 PM

NO

I did it when I was little and wasn't abused!!!!  My dd does it, and she isn't abused.  It is a discovery thing and it just feels good!

C.H.E.L.S.E.A
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2014 at 5:50 PM
No, it's normal for kids to do that at a young age. I wouldn't suspect abuse unless there are other signs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilmama8408
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2014 at 6:05 PM

I would talk to her and maybe take her to the doctor. Generally id say masturbation and self exploration is natural but at 7yrs old i feel thats  a bit young. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)