Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Controlling your kids

Posted by on May. 7, 2014 at 8:16 PM
  • 16 Replies

Do you let your kids listen to what kind of music they want as long as it is age appropriate? Or do you make them like your music  and only listen to it?

Do you have your kids life planned out to your wants or theirs?

Are you going to get mad if they grow up and don't want to be what you Planned out for them?

Do you control your kids in everything they do? Or are you going to support them in what they want to do?

Opinions please because I guess Im not a mom yet so I wouldn't understand...

by on May. 7, 2014 at 8:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Courtney610
by Courtney on May. 7, 2014 at 8:50 PM
I let them listen to what they like, even if it drives me nuts.

um, no. I have certain expectations, like always trying their best, staying out of trouble, etc. as far as higher education and careers, no.

As long as they are good people, making honest livings and are happy, I'll support them.

I support them, but I do encourage them to be involved in activities and to try new things.
RocknRoll.Rose
by Member on May. 7, 2014 at 8:53 PM

I don't allow rap or hip hop music but, other than that, it's fine. There are some artists that are banned but I usually judge by the song are the artist. My kids are free to choose whatever career they want and I'll support them. 

reading   playing soccer   boy n girl

Melody       Conner Wyatt and Tabitha

mama2b100808
by Mandy on May. 8, 2014 at 7:49 AM

My daughter listens to the music I listen too. So I know it is age appropriate. No I don't have her life planned out. That isn't for me to do. No I will not get mad at my daughter if she doesn't want to do what you say planned for her. No I do not control my daughter in everything she does. I support her. My daughter is only 5 years old. To me I don't think planning out her life is my place. She is her own person. And I would love to see her plan her own life and for myself just to enjoy watching her. :) 

PeaceMuch
by Kali on May. 8, 2014 at 9:43 AM
Same here! :)

Quoting Courtney610: I let them listen to what they like, even if it drives me nuts.

um, no. I have certain expectations, like always trying their best, staying out of trouble, etc. as far as higher education and careers, no.

As long as they are good people, making honest livings and are happy, I'll support them.

I support them, but I do encourage them to be involved in activities and to try new things.
acer.acerpori
by on May. 8, 2014 at 9:49 AM

My kids have freedom to make their own choices in their life... if it's something major I don't mind helping them stay on the right track and like any house we have rules.. but nothing set in stone about what they will grow up to be, what religion to practice, ect.

LilMamaK
by Kaht on May. 8, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Do you let your kids listen to what kind of music they want as long as it is age appropriate? Or do you make them like your music  and only listen to it?: As long as it's appropriate, i don't care. They are entitled to their own style.

Do you have your kids life planned out to your wants or theirs?: Their's. Whatever sport/after school activity they want, they can play/do. I want them to make their own path.

Are you going to get mad if they grow up and don't want to be what you Planned out for them?: No. Only thing i "Planned" for them was to be healthy and happy and secure in them selves!

Do you control your kids in everything they do? Or are you going to support them in what they want to do?: They are 5 and 6. I do control a lot of what they do at the moment, only to protect them. I support them and will always support them with whatever life goals they set.

Mommy to a beautiful daughter (7.5.08), Stepmom to an amazing son(6.5.07), and Angel baby boy(3.6.10)

C.H.E.L.S.E.A
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2014 at 12:24 PM
All I want for my son is for him to be happy, healthy, and successful. I don't even think about what I want him to do with his life because that's his decision. I plan to support him in his life choices and just be there for advice and guidance when necessary. I don't control his life now, I just set rules for him since he's only 4. Otherwise he'd eat candy for breakfast, never brush his teeth, and stay up until midnight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KREX0914
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2014 at 12:19 PM
I have wants for my kids. I want my oldest to be a vet but she wants to be an artist so im buying her all sorts of art supplies. I like rock but she likes pop so we swich off radio stations. I like corn but she likes ocra so we make both.

This has worked out well for us so far. Though she is only 5.
Retrokitty
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 11:10 PM
1 mom liked this
One if my favourite quotes:

" a child is not a vessel to be filled, yet a lamp to be lit"

I think it answers the questions lol.
booaura
by Aurabella on May. 10, 2014 at 2:44 AM
My kids can listen to whatever they want, though since the oldest is only 4, it's mostly what I listen to. He knows the lyrics to "Paint it black" by heart :) When they get older and decide what they like, they can listen to whatever they want. Same goes for books, I won't censor books.

I know the generalities of what I want for them (happiness, a good education, a secure job) outside those things, kids, marriage, sexual orientation, they can choose what they want.

I guide my children. I have no desire to force them to my will or decide for them. I live my life, they need to live theirs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)