Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight limits for football players?

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:05 AM
  • 6 Replies
I know they have them for the elementary school aged kids, and it's causing some controversy among parents.

Some area parents have formed a new league, without weight limits.

What are your thoughts? Are weight limits discriminatory? Or do you think they are in place for safety purposes, therefor warranted?
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Simple-Beauty
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't risk my child sustaining a lifelong injury after getting hit by a much larger child.

My dad actually invented a new type of faceplate for helmets that greatly reduces the risk of cuts to other players, and several college teams are already using them. He's a huge football fan, but I know he wouldn't approve of young kids playing in a highly mixed weight class. The smaller kids are not only at a disadvantage game wise, and are much more likely to be severely injured than larger kids.
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:51 AM

I can see why they are needed especially for tackle football. I can see parent's feeling upset about it but I really don't think it's discriminatory.

beadingmom17
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:53 AM
Omg...people are so uber sensitive these days! The weight limits are there for safety! Do you really want to see little Timmy at 60lbs get sacked by Tommy at 80lbs? It won't be pretty.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Courtney610
by Courtney on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:54 AM
I completely agree. My boys aren't really into football, so this doesn't affect me at all.

Football is dangerous to begin with. That's awesome about your dad. I have a lot of friend with kids that play. Is the faceplate available to everyone?

Quoting Simple-Beauty: I wouldn't risk my child sustaining a lifelong injury after getting hit by a much larger child.

My dad actually invented a new type of faceplate for helmets that greatly reduces the risk of cuts to other players, and several college teams are already using them. He's a huge football fan, but I know he wouldn't approve of young kids playing in a highly mixed weight class. The smaller kids are not only at a disadvantage game wise, and are much more likely to be severely injured than larger kids.
Simple-Beauty
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 3:24 PM

I'll have to ask him, I know that when he started doing this they were being used in the Pop Warner league, but I'm not sure if he sells them individually or if entire teams contract them. I'll get back to you =)

Quoting Courtney610: I completely agree. My boys aren't really into football, so this doesn't affect me at all. Football is dangerous to begin with. That's awesome about your dad. I have a lot of friend with kids that play. Is the faceplate available to everyone?
Quoting Simple-Beauty: I wouldn't risk my child sustaining a lifelong injury after getting hit by a much larger child. My dad actually invented a new type of faceplate for helmets that greatly reduces the risk of cuts to other players, and several college teams are already using them. He's a huge football fan, but I know he wouldn't approve of young kids playing in a highly mixed weight class. The smaller kids are not only at a disadvantage game wise, and are much more likely to be severely injured than larger kids.

k9l1c5
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Yeah, I definitely think the weight limits are needed! It's not safe at all to have a mixed weight class like that, especially with a dangerous sport like Football.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)