Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Common core?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2014 at 7:48 AM
  • 11 Replies
Is your child's school doing common core yet? How do you feel about it? What state are you in, even if there school doesn't do common core:-)

Just curious, we struggle every night with common core math and absolutely hate it. We are buying a house next year and will homeschool until then we are aucking up common core :-(
by on Jun. 9, 2014 at 7:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama2b100808
by Mandy on Jun. 9, 2014 at 8:01 AM

I think my daughter's school is doing. I even think her preschool was doing it. I am not sure about the whole thing. I haven't read anything about it or what changes things from when I went to school. 

starryeyez23
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 8:05 AM
We are in NY. I absolutely hate common core. It makes it difficult to help my kids with homework because its not even close to how we learned how to do it. All the teachers here hate it too.
mama-smurf
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 8:07 AM
I don't know what that is.
Courtney610
by Courtney on Jun. 9, 2014 at 8:20 AM
I'm not a fan.
Aslen
by Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 8:24 AM
Absolutely horrible. GA is supposed to be doing it, but they're not. At least, where we are isn't. And when they do I'll homeschool
erin708
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 11:21 AM
They do here in nj. Hate it. Cant help with homework.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
geekymom08
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 11:26 AM
We do common core here..... I feel like it's more about testing kids than really teaching. I like higher standards... Just not stressing out kids even more than before with the testing that comes with CC Standards.

We are working on getting rid of CC and adapting state standards.
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jun. 9, 2014 at 12:23 PM

My son starts kinder in the fall and I'm not sure if his school does common core or not. I've heard about it though and do not look forward to it lol.

Courtney610
by Courtney on Jun. 9, 2014 at 1:30 PM

It's sad when we are teaching to test, not teaching for kids to actually learn. 

Quoting geekymom08: We do common core here..... I feel like it's more about testing kids than really teaching. I like higher standards... Just not stressing out kids even more than before with the testing that comes with CC Standards. We are working on getting rid of CC and adapting state standards.

geekymom08
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 1:48 PM
My kindergartener was tested more than once this year on different materials. Kindergarteners shouldn't experience that kind of stress. The first state test was given on day 10 of school.

Quoting Courtney610:

It's sad when we are teaching to test, not teaching for kids to actually learn. 

Quoting geekymom08: We do common core here..... I feel like it's more about testing kids than really teaching. I like higher standards... Just not stressing out kids even more than before with the testing that comes with CC Standards.

We are working on getting rid of CC and adapting state standards.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)