Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

My husband is obsessed with video games

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 1:55 AM
  • 19 Replies

Hi mamas. My name is Jessica. I am a young 21 yr old mama with a 2.5 yr old. I've been married almost 4 yr this September. I have so many issues in my marriage but the biggest one im having issues with is that my husband never wants to stop playing Video Games. He can play for hrs. As soon as he wake and before he goes to bed. Sometimes he wont even go to bed with me he will stay up all night, and then sleep in all afternoon. If I even bring up that its becoming an issue he yells at me or is pissed off at me and wont speak to me. How am I suppose to react to that? He's curreently going to school full time (schools out now) and has no job. He never wants to leave the house nor does he want to spend quality time with his family. He's told me countless times that "he doesnt want to be told what to do", & " that he doesnt want to do anything". The part that most upsets me is that I fell in love with this man and in that have taken my vows seriously. Family means everything to me. All i ask is that things are fair, that we can both compromise, that we can both work together the way couples do, but instead he leaves me to do all the work alone. It really pisses me off.....Would this piss you off to? Am I overracting? I don't think I am. Any suggestions....?

Thanks for reading my story. ~Jess

by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 1:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ApacheRose72
by New Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 1:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Mine used to do the same thing I told him it's me or the games, he didn't have to give up completely but needed to prioritize. It took him 4 years to realize what was important. I wish I could offer more Advice... It is an addiction maybe try to get his family to convince him to seek help if he won't change?
Rjallsup
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 2:09 AM

Thanks for reading my story. Wow 4 yrs. I cant believe it. I wish i could get Ryan to hear me out or even better try and understand where im coming from. Are things better now? I tried asking if ryan would go home because its been 4 yrs. I was pregnant and he would socialize with people I knew nothing about but who apperently knew everything about me. I was even more pissed. He doesnt help me with anything and quality time with his son is always rushed bc i bribe him to get him to do it at all. Every bribe requires him being able to play so he gets it over with as quickly as possible...he wont even take that time seriously. When i was in labor he fell asleep he when i tried to wake him to help me he said "he was tired". He's just such an ass! I honestly think going home would be best. I need a break. Ive also asked if he would talk to someone and of course the answer was no. Its like i can't win.

Quoting ApacheRose72: Mine used to do the same thing I told him it's me or the games, he didn't have to give up completely but needed to prioritize. It took him 4 years to realize what was important. I wish I could offer more Advice... It is an addiction maybe try to get his family to convince him to seek help if he won't change?

ApacheRose72
by New Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 2:13 AM
Just tell him he is going to lose you .. Try to have a heart to heart I guess. Mine still gets caught up every now and then but I don'tind as long as he takes care of the kids first.. Is it world of Warcraft? Lol. I know how much his sucks. He has to find it in himself to change
Rjallsup
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 2:32 AM

Yeah your right. I have told him countless time that he is going to loose me but I just dont think he is taking it seriously. I wouldn't mind it so much either if he would just take some time for his family and helped me out more. Yes it is World of Warcraft is that was your husband plays too?

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jun. 14, 2014 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh that's tough, mine has never been like that but I do wish you luck!

yellow14
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 3:00 PM
1 mom liked this
When I was pregnant my husband would be playing video games on all his free time, but when I have birth he really did mature and he stopped playing video games, fast forward almost 2 years and he barely plays and if he does it's when my son and I are in bed, it sounds like your guy needs to grow up.
wonderstruck11
by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Hey, I'm 22, have a 2.5 year old and have been married 3 years.
My husband and I are both huge gamers, I think I play way more than he does. Have you tried playing with him?
PeaceMuch
by Kali on Jun. 14, 2014 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this
When video games get in the way of spending time with family and doing things around the house that is a problem and I would use the term "addiction". I do not thing you are overreactng at all. You have every right to be upset. I would be too. My husband and I both have different hobbies, but those hobbies dont infringe on our time together as a family or as a couple.
Rjallsup
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 3:52 AM

I absoulutely agree! I've told him that countless times that he needs to grow up..sometimes ill even refer to him behaving exactly like his brother (who is also obsessed with video games) & who is 13. Sadly though even that doesnt seem to work. Yeah my husband just doesn't get it...I've had conversations where he truly feels like he's not doing anything wrong, like he's not hurting me and our family but he is. I completely agree he definately needs to grow up. It's good that your husband did what was right for the sake of the family and stopped playing as much.

Quoting yellow14: When I was pregnant my husband would be playing video games on all his free time, but when I have birth he really did mature and he stopped playing video games, fast forward almost 2 years and he barely plays and if he does it's when my son and I are in bed, it sounds like your guy needs to grow up.

Rjallsup
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 4:13 AM

Yeah I myself have a ps3 that sadly hasnt been touched in like 4 months to play video games but i dont spend an endless amount of time playing I can't...I know i have responsibilities that come first. I wish he understood that concept. Yeah I have played video games with him. Its fun when he incudes me! The problem I found is once i'm done playing he still wants to play and so I find him just getting lost in it on his own & i wouldnt mind that if he would just ask me " whats the plan?" "If right now would be a good time to play?" "if there is anything he can helpt me with?" Anything to show me he cares about his family instead of his video games.

Quoting wonderstruck11: Hey, I'm 22, have a 2.5 year old and have been married 3 years. My husband and I are both huge gamers, I think I play way more than he does. Have you tried playing with him?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN