Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babysitters

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 3:43 PM
  • 4 Replies

I start a new job on the 7th.  My mom is gonna be watching my son for but for the first week she's going to be on her last week while I'm starting.  She only works 3 hrs a day.

on the 18th she's having minor knee surgery.  They said she'll be down for 3 days for sure and take it easy for 6-8 weeks, for that first week or two I want a sitter.  There's 5 kids across the street, 3 old enough to watch my 4 month old son.  

I want to ask one of them, but not sure of the rate of pay.  We're in idaho, here if you're licensed and have CPR and first aid you make 7.25 an hr.  That being said, what's an appropriate pay for them (13, 15 or 18 year old) to 1 watch him by themselves for 3 hrs a day for 3 days?  And 2 watch him with my mom here, basically be a moms helper while she can't pick him up?

thanks

edit...

so the 7.25 min wage is apparently just what ICCP pays.  My friend owns a daycare and ran the numbers by her, she said that at most a professionally run daycare here gets $550 while I home gets at most $450.  Mind you these guys have CPR, first aid, city certification to be a child care center, background checks, insured, inspected, and certified (my moms going through it right now).  Break it down into a 5 week month to make the numbers easy, that's $100 a week, making it $20 a day.  That's for a child care center that has all of these things.  

I really can't see paying a teenager that hasn't even taken a babysitting course like I did where you get at least the first aid and CPR portion the same amt that I would pay a child care center.  

Things got complicated yesterday, my uncle is in the hospital with head injury, stable right now, but could go back to critical.  He's in ICU, so mom want to see him before her surgery.  Only week to do that is the wee I start work.    I'm thinking of asking my friend if she'll watch him and I'll pay her $120 (a little over the standard since she's doing me such a huge favor of just taking him and she usually does 4 and up.)   Now he won't ha gamma, or mom and longest he's been without either of us is 4 hours and he lost it on hr 3, I don't want SBS to happen with a teenager or inexperienced sitter.  (Daycare person has 2 kids of her own and has babies dropped of randomly by sisters and friends so she's very experienced with kids feeling scared without mom).

phew, this going back to work thing is scary, can I just ba a sham?  Jk it's good pay so it'll help us a lot!

thnks for trying to help ladies...btw most I ever got for 3 kids at once was 6-7 an hour.

by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 3:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
PeaceMuch
by Kali on Jun. 29, 2014 at 4:13 PM
$20 a day.
cupcake_mom
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:19 PM
I charge $20 a day to baby sit
mama2b100808
by Mandy on Jun. 30, 2014 at 7:38 AM

20 a day. :)

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jul. 1, 2014 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Hope everything goes well for you!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)