Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 Something Moms 20 Something Moms

Just Turned 20 - Prego, Again!

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 1:45 PM
  • 29 Replies

Hey, everyone. :)

My name's Jessica, but I'm better known as Naia. I'm the proud mother of an 8 month old little boy and now I'm expecting, again! In February. I'm excited, but also nervous, as my fiance and I are moving away from family members and we're living off of one income, which is only a whopping $1,300/month after taxes and health insurance is taken out. Are any of you in a similar situation? How do you really cut down on costs? Our rent is $600/month, so we're really cutting things close.

by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 1:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovemymini
by Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow.  I would suggest getting a job until the baby is born to help with expenses.   If your fiance is working days maybe you could work nights, that way you won't have any daycare costs.  I would never be a SAHM if we were making that little.  Congratulations on your new little one.

*sorry if this seems harsh.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jul. 6, 2014 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you tried couponing?

JG86
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 7:10 PM
2 moms liked this
Yikes.

You should get a job. I don't know how someone could support 2 children on so little.
Tiff22Faith
by Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this

See if you can work part-time somewhere close to home at nights or late evenings? Look in newspapers for sales on food. See if there are food pantries around your new home that you can qualify for. Budget like crazy and do extreme couponing.

bc19
by Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 7:51 PM
1 mom liked this

What part of the country are you moving to? I think some people forget that it doesn't cost the same to live in all areas :). Here that would be enough if you were careful. My suggestion would be to set a budget and stick to it, and try and save money on food where you can. Also, you may qualify for WIC and that would be a big help too. 

Frances0923
by Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this
1300 after health insurance and taxes and only pays 600 monthly. It's little but manageable. Try couponing? I live in Miami, my rent alone is 1300! Lol
booaura
by Aurabella on Jul. 6, 2014 at 10:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Get a job. Coupon.
I wouldn't be having a second child if that is all we were making.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DylsMom12
by Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this
We make it on much less...if you dont think you can then you should get another job.After rent you have 700..make it work. Write a list with all your expenses..dont stress yourself. Do whatyou think is bes...
maxsmommy1010
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm in the same boat as you only I have one child. My s/o is the only one working ATM. He brings home about 1300 a month as well it's possible to survive on that we do so every month. I would suggest getting rid of everything you don't need (I.e cable, internet.) sign up for stores rewards programs like Kroger we have meijer out here they have a great baby rewards program. Couponing is really helpful as well if you remember to use them.
Moorefam1
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this
It's do able. I am a stay at home mom with a 16 month old and a baby boy on the way and my husband makes about $5,400 a month BUT our rent is 1500 and we live in nj where the cost of living is sky high and we do just fine. You can cut costs all ways around. Coupon, don't buy any new baby stuff (unless your having a different sex baby) then just buy clothes. Make a weekly meal plan and don't stray outside it so it keeps your grocery bill on a predictable amount.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN