Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Looking for a job

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:37 PM
  • 27 Replies

I'm going through a divorce and am now living back at my mom's house with all three of my kids. I'm 21 years old and don't know what to do now, my mom told me I can stay there and live with her as long as I need to, she is living alone anyways but it's a smaller place and I want to get out on my own again. I'm really thankful to have my mom though since I have nowhere else to go, I don't drive and have to depend on my friends to get me around or the city bus which I ride every day anyways.

I don't know what to do for a job though, I'm 21 and never have had a job before, I imagine I can do whatever it is to be done though. I never thought I would be going through a divorce but it is what it is and I'm happier to be away from my soon to be ex husband. So what would you do in my situation? It's hard asking other people what they would do but I just need to get a start and get some advice.

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Court112
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:43 PM

go throught like goodwill, salvation army ymca or something similar to those they normal have career resources such as resume, interview skills and so and they help set you up wth a job . good luck

agnesmlee1117
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 8:50 PM

First, if you have residency in the state, then you could ask for some immediate assistance for emergencies. Then, if there are any stores/restaurants within walking distance, I would head there to get applications and ask if they are hiring in person. If you have access to a computer and internet, try going to indeed.com and you can find any job listings for any type of job thats in your area. I'm not sure about the transportation issue though :/ while you're looking for a job, you can try to get your driver's permit and license so you can have an ID and eventually get a used car. It's tough travelling through public bus especially when you have 3 kids! Department of Social Services usually can help you find places that are hiring too~

bressmommy2012
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:19 PM

Thanks I'll check all those places out. I'm just in a tough situation right now, it's going to get better because I'm going to be tough and get through this. I was out with my friend earlier, my mom watched the kids and I saw a coney island restaurant down the street from my mom's that has a sign that says HELP WANTED ALL POSITIONS so I might give them a try tomorrow, kind of late tonight. And there are a few other spots I got in mind but I dunno if they are hiring.

Krizzle01
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 2:30 AM
Also try look for worksource centers around your area :) good luck mama!
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jul. 26, 2014 at 8:55 AM

You could try local retail stores or restaurants. Good luck!!

nurse1997
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Get in to school you will never make a enough to support your self now adays with no school.

bressmommy2012
by Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Thanks, I went around with my friend earlier and picked up a few applications, I also looked online and filled out a few online too. I just hope someone calls me because I have no experience with anything, I've never worked before. But I'm only 21 so I'm young and could learn how to do a job.

mama2b100808
by Mandy on Jul. 26, 2014 at 4:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I wish you all the luck in the world. :) Being a single mom with 3 kids is going to be hard but you can do it. 

bressmommy2012
by Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Thanks chicka

Quoting mama2b100808:

I wish you all the luck in the world. :) Being a single mom with 3 kids is going to be hard but you can do it. 

mama2b100808
by Mandy on Jul. 26, 2014 at 6:46 PM
My sil was a single mom of 3 for almost 11 years. She just got married this year so I know what she went through. She also going to school raising these boys too.

Quoting bressmommy2012:

Thanks chicka

Quoting mama2b100808:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)